Waking at 5am

(12 Posts)
Babysafari Mon 04-Jul-16 12:53:24

Ds is 12 months and has recently started waking up between 5-6am. He's sleeping through so it's not too terrible but I'd like to at least sleep until 6.30.

His bedtime and nap time hasn't changed the only thing that's different is he's started having normal whole milk instead of formula.

Any tips to get him to sleep longer and is he likely to grow out of it anytime soon?

Babysafari Tue 05-Jul-16 07:30:52

Anyone? It's getting earlier by the day.

He's waking up at 5 but still really tired and crying. I try to just lie with him quietly but he can't seem to go back to sleep.

Dh wants to give him milk but he hasn't had night feeds since he was 6 months. He's eating and drinking plenty during the day.

whensitmyturn Tue 05-Jul-16 07:35:50

How dark is his bedroom? I'm sure that our dd was waking early as it's getting light so early.
I bought one of those Velcro black out blinds on suckers (think it was a bro bag one) you can adjust to put over the whole window to literally shut out all chinks of light and it helped a great deal to get her to sleep later.

WhatwouldRuthdo Tue 05-Jul-16 07:37:06

DS did this from about the same age. I don't have any great wisdom though I'm afraid - we just took it in turns to get up with him. If we lay quietly on the sofa with him he'd sometimes nod back off. Sometimes. We just waited it out until he got old enough to understand the groclock at around 2. He's now 2.8 and on enforced bed-rest until 6.30am, but he's awake and singing to himself long before that! Hopefully someone with an actual solution will come along but until then, sympathy from me.

Babysafari Tue 05-Jul-16 07:45:35

Whenisitmyturn it's fairly dark as we have a blind and curtains but a blackout blind has got to be worth a try. He's only started doing this for the past couple of weeks but I'm sure that the light mornings won't help.

Whatwouldruthdo oh no I was hoping it was just a phase. He didn't sleep well as a baby and he'd finally started sleeping through, but now this early waking. I can cope with 6am but 5am just exhausts me.

The worst of it is he's in our room, our house is two bed and we can't put him in with his brother when he's doing this. We are moving eventually but until then he's in with us.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Tue 05-Jul-16 07:48:18

DD2 is the same age and went from 6.30 to 5 to 4! shock

DD1 woke at 5 every day until she was about 5 or 6 I think, it's very typical of young children so you may be in for the long haul. sorry!

Daytona79 Tue 05-Jul-16 07:49:36

I think it's pretty normal my toddler wakes between 5-6am

Toddlers get up early

Luckystar1 Tue 05-Jul-16 07:54:08

DS does the same (20 months). I royally sick of it tbh. Every 2 months or so he gradually begins to waken 5-10 mins earlier and then, bang, out of nowhere it's 4.45/5am every morning. No idea why.

He won't go back to sleep either, and then is a moany so and so all day.

There's no light in his room (blackout material is taped permanently to his window and a black out curtain.

I'm so pleased I'm 37 weeks pregnant. It makes it so much easier to deal with... Not.

Just a rant from me, no practical help or tips. Hopefully someone will...

Babysafari Tue 05-Jul-16 07:58:31

Oh gosh my ds1 never did this.

Surely 5am is still the middle of the night?!

Looks like I'll have to just grin and bear it sad

Babysafari Tue 05-Jul-16 07:59:44

CBeebies doesn't even come on until 6am

Daytona79 Tue 05-Jul-16 09:54:03

Just go to bed early that's what I do wink

Babysafari Tue 05-Jul-16 10:19:28

Ha that's what I've been doing, bed at 9pm.

I guess if it carries on I'll have a spotless house as I'll have two extra hours in the morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now