Anyone else with 2 year old waking before 6am?

(16 Posts)
Popalina Thu 30-Jun-16 06:43:16

Hi,
I know there are tonnes of early waking threads on here but I wondered if anyone was going through this right now with a 2 year old? DC2 is waking about 5.30am every morning and despite trying various tactics, nothing seems to lengthen her sleep.

Major prob is she shares a room with older sibling who I don't want disturbed so we have to whip her out of bed as soon as she wakes which doesn't help.

Tactics tried and failed:
Shortening nap
putting her to bed later
putting fan on
blackout blinds are up anyway
We have a gro clock
No option of them sleeping in separate rooms at the moment

She naps in the morning 10-11.30am and always has done. Gets very tantrummy at about 8am as she clearly isn't getting enough overnight sleep.

I could cope with the early mornings if it was just me being disturbed but it's DH who has a busy job and long commute and sibling who starts school in September.

I've run out of ideas! Help!

froubylou Thu 30-Jun-16 06:46:22

No help but a hand hold here. Ds is 2.7. Since the bastarding clocks change he is up at about 5.30 give or take half an hour. It's exhausting.

The only thing that makes a slight difference (today was 6.15am) is a very busy day (soft play and visiting cousins) with just a 20 minute nap mid morning.

I just tell myself that at the end of October he will be up at 6.30am which is almost bearable.

seefeld Thu 30-Jun-16 06:55:23

Yes, this is happening here too! What time do your DC go to bed at night?

The only thing I've not tried from your list is putting my DS to bed later but I'm loathe to lose my evenings. He currently goes down at 7:30.

I've also tried bringing him into bed with us but he just wriggles, climbs all over us and says 'up' repeatedly until I give in and get up. It makes for such a long and exhausting day!

Tangoandcreditcards Thu 30-Jun-16 06:59:37

DS1 is exactly the same (early nap and morning tantrums too!).

He wakes DS2 (6mo) as well.

No solutions, tried all those things too. We pretty much co sleep now and that doesn't help either. (4.48 this morning)

Watching with interest and sympathy for you OP.

Artandco Thu 30-Jun-16 07:03:42

What time is bed?
Can you just bring her into your bed to sleep?

indecisivedoctor Thu 30-Jun-16 07:04:02

Yes! We've had probably a month of very early rising with our 2.5 yo. A good day is 6, not so good can be 4.45.

I'm pregnant and knackered. Only solution is that I am going to be myself anywhere between 8.30-9 to cope but that's not making for much of a life!

Been considering a Gro clock but I see you've tried that..

SpaghettiMeatballs Thu 30-Jun-16 07:05:22

Yes. 4.48 here today. I have a 4 year old DD too and a long commute myself. Was so tired yesterday I slept all the way home on the train!

Like you I have to go to him or he wakes DD albeit she has her own room.

I am just putting up with it and thinking he will be better in the autumn. I went through all this with DD and nothing helped so this time round I can't even find the energy to devote to solving the problem!

Completely sympathise.flowers

Allhallowseve Thu 30-Jun-16 07:15:24

23 month old here 5.15am today been like this since I can remember goes to bed at 7.30pm.
Had about a week and a half of 6-6.30 wake ups which was amazing but back to normal today , nothing changed with routine for later wa kings no explanation for it. I'm pregnant and knackered too we co sleep and I go to bed at 8 pm with him. Sorry no advice.

Luckystar1 Thu 30-Jun-16 07:17:51

This is probably in no way helpful but I read somewhere ages ago that an over-reliance on a morning nap can contribute to early wakings. Could you try pushing the nap back a bit (difficult I appreciate if she's tantruming), maybe go to some morning groups for a week or two to try and keep her up and 'entertained'.

Strawclutching Thu 30-Jun-16 07:21:01

Yes. Anytime between 5-6. Dh keeps her in her room till 6. I've just decided to stop fighting it. She's an early riser.

Popalina Thu 30-Jun-16 08:05:55

Thanks for all of the responses guys! I really appreciate just knowing I am not alone. Bed was 7pm but I have pushed it back to 7.30pm. If I push her nap back she won't go to bed until later and is also super miserable when she wakes up.

Tonight, I am going to try 4 year old going to bed at 6.30pm so he can get the extra sleep in, and putting 2 year old down at 7.30pm. Bring on the clock change!!

1AngelicFruitCake Thu 30-Jun-16 08:07:14

Anytime from 5 ish. Usually 5:30 but last week it was 4:30. Up in the night anyway sigh going baby so this early start is making me even more tired!

SocksRock Thu 30-Jun-16 08:14:12

All mine are early risers. The 8yo will often sleep until 7, but the 6 and 3yo usually get up about 5.30. The only saving grace is leaving the tv on something I don't mind them watching and breakfast on the table so I can listen out for them and not have to get up straight away.

Popalina Thu 30-Jun-16 09:58:46

I sympathise with you all, particularly the pregnant ladies. When I was expecting DC2, DC1 was up for 3 hours every night from 1am, wide awaking talking. In the end I had to cut out his nap all together (he wasn't even 2) because I knew I wouldn't be able to manage with a new baby. It did the trick though so perhaps he didn't need it. Who knows?

MoonlightMedicine Thu 30-Jun-16 21:44:25

Yes I'm on my second early rising child. 2.5 and always up before 6. Intrigued as to how it gets better for people in the autumn when the clocks go back though? Because then 5.30 just becomes 4.30. Or am I missing something? The clock change only ever affects mine for 3-4 days anyway...

Nuggy2013 Thu 30-Jun-16 21:54:32

Feelijg your pain. DD 2.10 wales, gets in with us around 4 to 5am. Demands milk, sings, turns herself upside down while axe kicking DH in the throat and falls asleep again. Nap or no nap, early or late to bed. Whatever the key to stopping it is, I'm too tired to fight and DH works away a lot so isn't here to be consistent. If you find a magic trick please let me know!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now