16month old waking screaming

(12 Posts)
violentvioletx Mon 20-Jun-16 23:33:35

Our 16 month old dd has been sleeping really well for the last few months. Over the last 2-3 weeks we settle her down around 8pm as normal but she will start screaming crying and hyperventilating around 2 hours later. She doesn't seem to be awake as eyes are still closed and itching we do soothes her. This lasts for around 5-10minutes then she will take her bottle and settle down for the rest of the night. I have I idea what to do to help her. Tried gentle soothing to reassure her, even resorted to trying to wake her properly. Hate seeing her so upset and don't know what to do to help! Any ideas massively appreciated.

violentvioletx Tue 21-Jun-16 01:36:10

From what I've read online she appears to be too young for night terrors

amarmai Tue 21-Jun-16 03:24:16

I wd check with the GP as it may be something physical, e.g. Interrupted breathing. Who cares for her during the day? If not you ,can you ask if the career has noticed anything ,e.g. During day time naps?

Eyre89 Tue 21-Jun-16 06:46:50

I have a friend whose ds had night terrors according to the doctor at this age he's 25 months now and gets them very rarely now.

violentvioletx Tue 21-Jun-16 09:07:35

I'm with her most days, i work a few evenings a week. During the day she has 1-2 naps for about an hour and will wake her self up crying then but nowhere near as upset as during the night

amarmai Tue 21-Jun-16 20:26:23

Keep a diary and watch for connections, patterns etc.

violentvioletx Wed 22-Jun-16 12:01:16

It's literally every night. Tried bed time earlier, later, with a bottle, without a bottle, calpol Incase it was teething, nothing changes it.

amarmai Wed 22-Jun-16 13:10:54

SOunds awful for little one and everyone.What does GP say?

violentvioletx Wed 22-Jun-16 13:14:01

Nothing physically wrong with her and to keep an eye on her during the day.

amarmai Wed 22-Jun-16 23:56:49

Maybe sleep with her until she gets past this.

GraceGrape Thu 23-Jun-16 00:08:05

Hmm, when my DD did this about the same age it was teeth. The further back ones really bothered her, but only at night for some reason. Might ibuprofen help? I don't know when you could time giving it though, if she settles down within 5-10 minutes anyway? Perhaps having her to sleep with you would be useful. If she settled straight much more quickly or didn't wake it would seem more likely that she was waking through fear. If she's waking through pain, it would still hurt regardless of whether or not you were there and she would presumably cry as normal?

violentvioletx Thu 23-Jun-16 14:39:18

I've been sleeping with her downstairs so DH can sleep as has to be up early for work. Will try nurofen tonight and maybe some teething granules see if that helps. Thank you for all your suggestions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now