8 week old. Sleep help!!

(7 Posts)
Missfergal Wed 15-Jun-16 17:35:50

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment so any advice is great.

My 8 week old is feeding every 2.5 hours, day and night. I was under impression that these gaps should have started to get a little longer by now. He has now started to be grizzly in between his feeds during the night although he is asleep, I most certainly am not as he's so loud! I'm getting around two hours sleep a night and end up being very short tempered because of it.

He does have a few naps throughout the day but not long enough for me to join him.

He is booked in for his jabs tomorrow which I'm dreading as heard stories of how grizzly they become after these.

My hubby works away so don't have much time away from bubs. I know he is still a newborn and understand they are all different and should be led by them but I'm slowly going insane.

JuxtapositionRecords Wed 15-Jun-16 17:37:32

Ah that is hard op, my sympathy. Is he bf or ff?

ToastyFingers Wed 15-Jun-16 17:59:48

This isn't what you want to hear but dd1 fed like this at night till 10 months, I know how frustrating it is when you're desperate for a good nights sleep, is there anyone who can take over for a couple of hours a night?

ToastyFingers Wed 15-Jun-16 18:01:07

Sorry, just seen your partner is away, is there anyone who could help you in the day so you could nap?

Missfergal Wed 15-Jun-16 18:30:12

I should have mentioned I had a bit of a difficult birth with him too so took me a while to get over that. Think im just letting it get on top of me when lots of people have it a lot worse- 10 months!! Wow hero.

He was breast fed for first two weeks but then had to move to formula and he is a VeRY hungry baby! He was 9lbs2 when born and just under 14lbs at 5.5 weeks. Not sure where he gets it from as hubby and I are small.

Hubby comes home on weekends but feel guilty as he has such a hard working job although he does try to help as much as he can. MIL is not great to be honest and my mum lives 300 miles away.

He's such a cherub I feel awful complaining about him; I just need some sleep and some kind of normality back sad

Coconut0il Wed 15-Jun-16 22:53:47

Have been where you are now, the 2 hourly feeding, the noisy grunting sleeping, the short naps. The only way I got through it was by DP getting up most mornings at 5am and taking DS2 downstairs till 7. If your DH is home at the weekend you must catch up on some sleep then. He may have a tough job but nothing is as demanding as a baby, especially if you are sleep deprived.
It will pass. Gradually DS2 has slept better, at almost 10 months he's mostly going at least 8 hours.

welshweasel Wed 15-Jun-16 22:56:33

Earplugs made a huge difference to my sleep. You still hear them if they whinge or cry but you can block out the snuffling/grunting/squawking that mine is so fond of!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now