10mo feed in night or get up at 5am?!

(6 Posts)
mostlyrain Tue 14-Jun-16 10:16:51

Which is better. 2 evils here. DD will go down at 7am but wake up at 4-5am everyday. I either get her up and feed her/give her breakfast or I give her a bottle and put her back down and she'll sleep until 7am. What's the worse habit?! We've tried a few sleep training methods but nothing has worked!

c737 Tue 14-Jun-16 14:12:18

Similar situation with 8mo Ds. I feel that by giving breakfast at that time we are encouraging the early wake up and setting his feeding cue too early. I posted about this and someone mentioned Gina ford to sort out the early waking. I googled her website and, although I wouldn't necessarily use her methods, she had answered a question on there about 5am wake ups.

She said to try and get them sleeping later, even if that's by feeding, so that you can sort the daytime naps out in to one 30/40 min nap at 9.30ish then a 2/2.5 her nap in the afternoon at 1ish. She feels if you can put them back to bed in the morning after the 5am wake up then you can achieve these nap times and hopefully begin to reset their body clock.

My Ds is poorly at the mo so can't do this yet but when he's feeling better I am going to try for this routine and see if it helps as the current 5am wake ups are killing me!

Archedbrowse Tue 14-Jun-16 14:36:34

My 8mth old often wakes around that time, I still consider that night time and give her a feed in the hope she'll go back to sleep. It doesn't always work and we end up getting up for the day sad. Then she has her first nap of the day at 7:30am as my pre-schooler gets up, it's brutal!! If she goes back to sleep after a bottle I'd definitely be doing that.

PotteringAlong Tue 14-Jun-16 14:38:22

She's 10 months old! Just feed her when she wants it! If she goes back to sleep how is that not a win win?

If you've tried sleep training and it hasn't worked, has it not crossed your mind that she's just hungry and not ready to go that long without milk yet?

orangebird69 Tue 14-Jun-16 16:01:47

I really like you Pottering

Archedbrowse Tue 14-Jun-16 17:46:43

Maybe she's a FTM and just needs a bit of advice and support. I actually agree with what you're saying pottering but the sarcastic tone not necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now