How should I be putting him down to nap?

(4 Posts)
ParsleyCake Sun 12-Jun-16 10:45:17

My one year old sleeps in bed with me and OH at nights. We fall asleep and snuggle together, and once he's asleep I turn on light and read a book. He rarely wakes up. I tend to go to bed earlyish anyway so if he's asleep by seven I read/go do chores till 10.

Naps are another story though. Trying to get him to nap this way just doesn't work. He climbs off the bed and runs all over our bedroom and even if he stays on the bed he pulls at my hair and eyelids and ears...

For the last month or so putting him to nap in the pram has been a life saver. Whether we go out or push him round the living room, he calmed right down when we put him in and fell asleep soon.

This does not work anymore. He is happy enough for about fifteen minutes of pushing him around then grows irritable and cries. At the moment we push him for up to an hour and if he is still not asleep then we give up.

What do we do? I really dont want to try to get him to nap in the bed because he doesn't nap for long there even if he does fall asleep (he rarely does, there's too much opportunity to move around). At least in the pram he is strapped in and once asleep we have an hour and a half of peace.

What works for everyone else?

Ps he has a cot but every attempt at using this has just not worked out, and I would rather not attempt that battle again

Diddlydokey Sun 12-Jun-16 10:48:03

Have you tried a snooze shade?

What time is the nap? Maybe it needs to be a bit later?

ParsleyCake Sun 12-Jun-16 11:33:51

Yes tried a snooze shade. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. His nap is at 10am. I have tried not waiting for him to start yawning and rubbing his eyes. I have tried putting him to nap as soon as I see it. I have even waited until he is overtired, which unsurprisingly doesn't work.

Diddlydokey Sun 12-Jun-16 12:48:49

10am is quite early. I'd try doing an early lunch at 11 and down at 11.30. Try it for 5 days and see how he settles into it - you can't judge a change on one day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now