Side taken off cot bed, now 2 year old won't stay in it

(5 Posts)
icantseenoships Wed 08-Jun-16 10:53:34

DS (just turned two) has until now been a great sleeper. No dramas to be put to pet, always been put down awake, settles himself etc. At the weekend we took the side off his cotbed and he is now a different child. Happily gets into bed but won't stay in it and howls at his door gate for up to an hour (obviously I go in and steer him back to bed calmly but firmly several times). Then if he wakes in the night (which he used to occasionally but managed to settle himself) he's straight out of bed screaming at the gate again. In the early hours of this morning it took me five times of going in there and putting him back to bed. I just can't understand how he has literally changed overnight. Has anyone experienced similar? Is he just testing new boundaries now that there is a different set up in his room? Would love to hear others experiences.

hownottofuckup Wed 08-Jun-16 10:57:30

It's just new and different, they tend to get over it pretty quick ime, just be consistent and keep gently steering him back into bed with little interaction.
You sound like you're dealing with it really well.

icantseenoships Wed 08-Jun-16 15:21:24

Thanks how. It's been a bit of a shock to the system for us I think! Never had this with DD. Will carry on as I am and hopefully he'll get over it soon.

Trooperslane Wed 08-Jun-16 15:33:11

That's why we're keeping DD in til she's 14!

Thankfully she is wee so can't yet get out at nearly 3.

Oliviacolemansshriek Mon 13-Jun-16 20:23:39

How's it going ships?
This is my second night with DD. Yesterday she didn't attempt to get out but I ended up falling asleep on the floor next to her while she chatted and sang away until 9 sad
Tonight I tried to settle her down and leave the room which she agreed to but then followed me out.
This happened twice before I realised that the baby gate isn't on properly. She just appeared at the foot of my bed looking very pleased with herself!
So now I'm sitting in her room again until she sleeps.
Will tighten up the gate and try tomorrow I guess!
I feel like I'm going to be doing this for a long long time angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now