Tell me about your bedtime routine for 2yo, need to move out of cot into bed

(3 Posts)
Bertieboo1 Tue 07-Jun-16 19:18:43

Our 2yo DS is still in his cotbed with the sides on, mostly because he moves loads in the night and we have a 7 month old who I was co sleeping with so we couldn't have older brother climbing into bed in the middle of the night.

Baby is now safely in his own room and a holiday has made us realise we need to get DS1 into a bed without sides on. He is too big for a travel cot so on holiday was climbing out for a good while, which he thought was the best thing ever.

At the moment they bath together which they love at 6.30 then baby goes to bed. We read to 2yo then he goes in cot, either falls asleep or plays with soft toy/looks at book, with it being light and falls asleep anywhere between 7 and 8 normally.

We need to sort out getting him to stay in his bed or failing that his room after we take him up. Any tips on this? Thinking after bath we bring him down in pjs for a bit til he is ready for sleep. On holiday he was up a lot til he finally dropped off. Also, he can't open his door as the handle is stiff - do we shut it or leave it open? Don't really want him running round upstairs but don't want him upset from shutting the door on him.

Thanks for reading!

Ffion3107 Tue 07-Jun-16 19:26:38

I'd suggest going straight to his bedroom after the bath, for a story and straight to bed (no playing). So he understands that bath time is calm and quiet just before bed.
It would be a shame to seperate their bath time though as they probably love bathing together!
So, if you're not having any trouble with him falling asleep in the cot he should be ok in a bed?

MeredithShepherd Wed 08-Jun-16 05:51:59

I'm about to change my ds's cot into a bed too and he is also 2. I am going to put a stair gate on his bedroom door so he can get out of bed but he can't be running around wild on the landing. I figure he will soon get bored as his room has no toys in it and go back to bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now