Moving into own room!

(10 Posts)
Mummabear22 Mon 06-Jun-16 11:56:36

Hi all

I'm a first time mum my DD is 19 weeks old and has outgrown her Moses basket, I'm having to move her into her own room I'm just very nervous about it! I plan on sleeping in there with her for the first week or so until she is used to it. I'm just panicking about her being on her own as the HV state that you have to sleep in the same room as baby till they are 6 months.

At what age did other move their babies into their own rooms and how did you cope?

RiverTam Mon 06-Jun-16 12:00:12

I did it at six months but i was very anxious so a stickler for doing things 'properly'. I have to say by 6 months I couldn't wait to get shot of her as she was such a noisy sleeper!

But I had a friend with twins and when they outgrew their Moses baskets she simply couldn't fit 2 cots in their bedroom so off they went at 3 months. They were all fine.

There's ideal and there's practicable. Nice if these can coincide but it's not always possible. Being aware of the reasons for advice is the best thing and it sounds like you are.

clarrrp Mon 06-Jun-16 12:22:37

HV state that you have to sleep in the same room as baby till they are 6 months.

HAVE to? If so times changed from I had mine. My daughter was sleeping in her own room as soon as she started sleeping through the night. She's sleeping, she doesn't know if I'm there or not. If she cries I'll hear her over the monitor and I have an alarm mat too.

Mummabear22 Mon 06-Jun-16 12:23:16

If I could wait till 6 months I would but there is no way of fitting her cot in our room!

I feel I'm going to be in for a long few weeks haha.

Thanks for the advice.

Mummabear22 Mon 06-Jun-16 12:25:00

Clarrrap my HV was very persistent about it and made it sound like that. I know they don't have to, that's just what she said.

ToucanPlayThatGame Mon 06-Jun-16 12:34:08

Is there any way you could sleep in her room with her? Would that make you feel more comfortable? I had a camp bed in with mine until six months as I was nervous leaving them alone.

Mummabear22 Mon 06-Jun-16 13:04:50

I'm going to sleep in there for a while, just it's not ideal for me to sleep in there for a month and a half.

Runningupthathill82 Mon 06-Jun-16 13:10:16

I'm waiting to six months. I did with DC1 too.
DD (18 weeks) outgrew her Moses basket a long time ago and I've had to move my chest of drawers out to fit the cot in my room - but IMO it's worth it.

I don't follow all guidelines from the HV religiously, but - for me - the SIDS risk was worth switching the furniture around for.

Mummabear22 Mon 06-Jun-16 13:35:17

Even if I move furniture out I still wouldn't be able to fit in the cot.

Runningupthathill82 Mon 06-Jun-16 14:26:30

If I were you I'd sleep in with her on a campbed. It's only for a few weeks.

Like I said in my pp, I don't blindly follow all advice from HVs for the sake of it, but I found the SIDS evidence too compelling to ignore. Hence why I moved all my clothes out of my bedroom before moving DD out!

Yes, we would have all been put in our own rooms much earlier than six months, and probably put to sleep on our fronts too. And the fact majority of babies were just fine. But SIDS rates are decreasing, and it's fair to assume this is due to people taking on the newer advice.

I'm not a perfect parent. I'm no longer breastfeeding, my 3-year-old is no longer in a rear facing car seat, I'm not necessarily going to wait to 26 weeks to wean, I had the odd glass of wine when pregnant...but I base my decisions on the research that is out there. And safe sleep is one thing I'm a stickler for...though I'm well aware people probably think I'm being over cautious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now