toddler advice, please!

(8 Posts)
LurkingQuietly Wed 01-Jun-16 12:54:14

When my son was 18 months, we had had one too many 10pm bedtimes so we bit the bullet and did CIO. I was amazed that is gotten to that point, but I had, and it bloody worked!! Within 4 nights he was going down easily and awake. We have honestly not had one single problem since then, he's been great until 2 weeks ago when he began screaming the house down. So now, at age 2.5, I find myself sitting next to his cot every night hissing "close your eyes" periodically and tiptoeing out when he's asleep.

We tried a refresher on CIO. Disaster. He was inconsolable and it took an hour to calm him after I left him for 3 minutes.

He's still in a cot, in a sleeping bag, and he will nap in the car, and very, very rarely on the sofa if he's had a particularly busy day.

What can I do??! Help me solve this sleep problem, please!!

PannaDoll Wed 01-Jun-16 12:57:23

Big bed, new grown up sheets etc. make it fun, set it all up. Big boys go to sleep on their own.

LurkingQuietly Wed 01-Jun-16 13:49:37

We have a duvet/pillow/covers etc in the cupboard, I'll get them out and give it a go!!

PannaDoll Wed 01-Jun-16 19:52:49

Also consider a night light. Anything but sitting with him all night. Stay strong.

Kimononono Wed 01-Jun-16 19:57:30

Yep we bought a big bed and it worked wonders.

Also not a huge fan of CIO. At this age though it's just generally repeatedly putting them back in bed close the door and sit on stairs and wait for him to come back out!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 01-Jun-16 20:00:09

Big boy bed with stair gate across the door. Night light and return to bed with no talking. Waiting next to ds or on the landing wound him up a treat and made everything worse.

CuntingDMjournos Wed 01-Jun-16 20:02:43

I was just about to post the same. I've just gone cold turkey on the bedtime bottle as she was falling asleep sucking (worried about teeth) and asking for bottle 3-4 times a night but now bedtime is taking 3 hours and she is constantly climbing out of city. I've returned her to bed maybe 30 times so far tonight and she should be desperately tired as last night she didn't go to sleep until 10.45pm and hasn't napped! Hideous

LurkingQuietly Thu 02-Jun-16 17:09:55

Thank you for all your responses!

Kim - I wasn't a fan of CIO either...I was just completely at the end of my tether and I can't deny it worked, and quickly. I'd read about "refreshers". Ha, no chance.

Cunting - sorry you're also having difficulties. I do feel better knowing I'm not alone though, so thanks! And flowers or wine for you!

So, we used the duvet and pillow last night, still in the cot as I can't make it into a toddler bed until the weekend. Bedtime was much, much better. DH still sat with DS, but only for 2 minutes and he fell asleep, so whilst we're not perfect, it was a huge, huge improvement.

We'll see what tonight brings. Thanks so much for the advice. Will definitely try the bed and stair gate at the weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now