20 month old nap question

(3 Posts)
Pinkandwhite Tue 24-May-16 14:48:42

Last night I left my 20 month old to fall asleep by herself for the first time ever. She cried for about 3 minutes on her own before passing out. I HATED leaving her to cry - it was the first time I've ever done it - but bedtime has been a nightmare for months now.

Anyway, my question is, do I need to be consistent and do the same at nap time? I normally rock her to sleep for her nap. I'm worried that if I leave her to fall asleep by herself at nap time she will cry for a long time because she fights her nap even more than bedtime normally. Thanks in advance for any helpful answers.

InsaneDame Tue 24-May-16 22:27:56

I've always encouraged self settling at bedtime but with naps I think timing is more important than how they get to sleep - I still rock my 2.1yo for his nap but he self settles at bedtime and sleeps through so it isn't having a detrimental affect. That and I love our nap time cuddles!

Pinkandwhite Tue 07-Jun-16 12:52:51

Thanks insanedame. I have tried doing exactly the same and it works. She now self-settles without a problem at bedtime and sleeps through but at nap times I rock/cuddle her to sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now