Any advice on keeping a dummy in?!

(14 Posts)
Tumtitum Thu 19-May-16 13:14:59

My DD always wants to suck when she gets tired (my DP and I have "love bites" all over our upper arms from her sucking as we rock her to sleep!!!). I know she will settle herself to sleep with a dummy but recently she will suck on it 2/3 times then push it out of her mouth, but I think she still wants it as she will then root as if she wants it back! And if I try to hold it in she fights it and is sometimes sick confused any tips for just keeping the damn thing in long enough for her to fall asleep??!!

Diddlydokey Thu 19-May-16 13:17:16

If you lightly tap on the plastic bit it encourages them to suck

luckiestgirl Thu 19-May-16 13:18:25

Try a couple of different types? She might not like the shape of the teat.

Tumtitum Thu 19-May-16 13:33:08

She used to be better at keeping it in before for some reason! But I do have some others I could try, good tip!
I'll try the tapping too, thanks smile

TitsCrossed Thu 19-May-16 14:51:45

Maybe check the dummy for holes.

StrangeDream Thu 19-May-16 19:07:55

If you figure out the answer could you tell my DS please envy

Zaurak Thu 19-May-16 19:19:16

Beats me! Ds is incapable of doing it, despite trying every type on the market, tapping, wiggling etc.

FizzyFeet Thu 19-May-16 20:25:49

These tips worked for us:
Make sure it's going over the tongue
Aim it at the roof of the mouth
Stroke her cheek to stimulate sucking
Hold it in for a count of 10
Try different shapes - only the straight one worked for us.
I read somewhere that if they keep spitting it out they might be hungry so check for that - could be a growth spurt.

BUT be careful what you wish for! We are in the hellish throes of trying to wean off the dummy because DD now wakes up hourly crying for it. She can get her hands up to her mouth but keeps knocking it out, and isn't dexterous enough to find it and get it back in! Can your DD find her fingers instead?

2cats2many Thu 19-May-16 20:29:26

Gaffer tape?

Eventually they end up being able to find it and put it back in themselves, but it's murders while you wait for them to learn.

JuxtapositionRecords Thu 19-May-16 20:29:55

This sounds weird but when my DD used to do this I would have a few spare ones ready and replace the spat out one with a 'fresh' one if you see what I mean?

LottieDoubtie Thu 19-May-16 20:31:52

Put dentinox or similar on it, they love the taste get excited sucking it and then kind of keep going/fall asleep if you're lucky.

Tumtitum Thu 19-May-16 21:02:23

All good tips thanks guys smile ironically I never wanted to give her a dummy in the first place but now the battle for sleep suddenly seems more important!!!

FreedomMummy Thu 19-May-16 21:05:54

Must admit I rested their comforter toys next to their dummies and it was enough to keep them in place.
Probably makes me a bad mum but both my kids slept better this way blush

Tumtitum Thu 19-May-16 21:05:55

Fizzy feet, she gets her hands in her mouth loads but never at the right time eg when it would help her settle!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now