How do I stop the dream feed, but still have baby sleep through?

(5 Posts)
Oliviatheoriginal Wed 27-Apr-16 19:40:44

Always given baby a dream feed since day 1, it helps him sleep through. It has now become a bit of a habit for him though.
He'll be one next week and usually wakes up around half past 10 to 11pm for his 4oz bottle.
So at nearly one it must be a habit rather than hunger.
My question is, how do I come away from the dream feed, my partner and I would sometimes like to have an early night, but one of us always has to stay up for the dream feed.
If I don't feed him at 10/11pm he wakes in the night!

Has anyone been in this situation? What did you do?

I'd like to bin the bottles soon and have him drink his morning and evening milk in his soppy cup, but I don't know how well that will go down while he's half asleep at his dream feed.

I appreciate any replies smile

Newfamily2014 Thu 28-Apr-16 05:02:46

Sorry I don't know the answer but know a website that does! Have you looked on the baby whisperer website? They talk about dream feeds and I'm sure can help you :-)

katienana Thu 28-Apr-16 05:05:58

You could try reducing the amount first? Slowly moving towards offering a drink of water instead. It sounds like you have things pretty good though so I can see why you'd be reluctant to fiddle with the routine too much.

Oliviatheoriginal Thu 28-Apr-16 10:25:24

Thank you will have a look.
Yes i don't want to spoil a good thing. But I think at his age, it's time to move away from the dream feed.

murphyslaws Thu 28-Apr-16 10:31:13

Yes been there.

I stopped the 10pm feed and waited for her to wake which she did but over the course of two weeks she started waking later and later then by week 4 she slept through.

But I waited until the 10pm became a grizzly feed (why are you disturbing me).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now