1 month sleep habits

(7 Posts)
CommanderShepherd Thu 07-Apr-16 20:22:02

My ds is now 1 month old! Where does the time go! As a first time mum I just wanted to throw some questions out there to make sure what me and DH are doing isn't setting us up for bad sleep habits and if what ds is doing is 'normal'

So, he will nap-ish during the day, generally feeds (bf) every 2 hours, and will sleep if he's in the buggy/car seat which can be up to 2 hours.
He will generally sleep between 8pm-11pm give or take an hour. I give him a feed from both sides between 11pm-1am depending on when he wakes up. He can take up to 1- 1/2 hours to settle then will sleep till about 4am-6am depending on when he first fell asleep. I change and feed at this point and again he takes up to an hour to settle and then will go down for another 4 hours before being 'up for the day'

I have just got a sleepy head in his Moses basket, not seen much of a difference yet. A dummy will be in for a few minutes before he spits it out. He's not overly fond of swaddles, flails arms and kicks about and makes a hell of a lot of noise with his eyes closed.

When I'm nursing he sometimes comes off sleepy but when I put him down he will wake back up so does this mean I'm not 'nursing to sleep' which I've heard is a major sleep crutch. He also roots around constantly as if he's always hungry. He will yawn and such but it's as if he's fighting going to sleep. We don't have a bedtime routine eg bath or such.
Sorry for the essay, I wish babies came with a manual

CommanderShepherd Fri 08-Apr-16 13:47:45

Anyone?

mellybythesea Fri 08-Apr-16 13:50:13

I'm not sure what it is you want to know? What are you asking?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 08-Apr-16 13:52:36

Tour baby is tiny, don't worry about sleep schedules and bedtime routines, they come much, much later as their sleep patterns change constantly over the first year or so.

just relax and enjoy your baby smile

SoftSheen Fri 08-Apr-16 13:52:58

He sounds like he's doing well. Feeding to sleep (at least at that age) is absolutely fine and the fact that he is doing 4 hour stretches at night is great.

You might like to think about starting a bedtime routine when he is 3-4 months old.

JuxtapositionRecords Fri 08-Apr-16 13:59:25

Honestly at that age it will be all over the place. They are still learning night and day. How he sleeps will change, change and change again over the next few months.

Just let him do what he wants and help him sleep however you can - it's important they get enough rest. Come 4 months you may start to get a bit more of a routine going.

Just relax and enjoy newborn cuddles smile

CommanderShepherd Fri 08-Apr-16 14:54:16

I had a major panic last night. Turns out he does like the sleepyhead. He slept 7 hours! confused I was horrified I let him go so long without a feed, but he was ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now