2 year old suddenly won't go to sleep

(10 Posts)
Rinceoir Wed 06-Apr-16 21:34:11

For the past 4 nights my almost 2 year old has been resisting sleep. Normally goes 8/830-730 She goes happily up to bed as usual, but after stories are read she decides she wants to walk around the bedroom or play. She can climb out of her cot so that's not an option unfortunately. She takes off her sleeping bag. She wanders about, sings and gets very irate if told to go back to bed. Last night she was singing and talking to her doll after 11pm. Obviously this morning she did not want to get up. Tonight she is upstairs, DH is seeing to her and she's still wide awake. She's tired but just won't lie down. Does anyone have any advice or ideas?

Rinceoir Wed 06-Apr-16 21:57:59

Bump. Still wandering about. Chattering to herself.

Rinceoir Wed 06-Apr-16 22:57:31

Anyone? She's still talking to herself. I can't understand how she's functioning on so little sleep.

Rinceoir Thu 07-Apr-16 21:36:55

Same thing tonight if anyone is listening?

eviltwin1098 Fri 29-Apr-16 22:37:25

Can't believe no one else has posted. My lo is doing the almost the same, she used to go to bed about 7-8pm now it's 10pm.

CityDweller Sat 30-Apr-16 19:27:31

Does she still nap? If so, how long/late? On days DD naps she's always babbling and chatting and shouting for hours after lights out.

af2000 Sat 30-Apr-16 19:33:13

On a practical level, have you tried a front fastening sleeping bag put on backwards (no shoulder poppers)? She shouldn't then be able to wriggle out of it and at least then will have to stay in the cot.

Popalina Sat 30-Apr-16 20:28:31

Mine has started to do the same so you are not alone. Turned two recently and been having high jinks at bed time. Interestingly, absolutely fine for her nap in the day. She has just worked out how to get out of the cot. It must be a development thing and exercising new found freedom - hoping it will settle down soon!

Popalina Sat 30-Apr-16 20:30:17

Mind you, I had to stop my eldest's naps at two because the nights were so bad and it did the trick. It was early to stop napping but I couldn't cope with being up with a baby and a toddler every night and toddler just woke in the week hours to talk for 2/3 hours about his day so you can imagine I was getting desperate!

I am going to see if it subsides, if it doesn't then I will consider shortening the nap or dropping it all together.

winchester1 Sat 30-Apr-16 20:36:35

I.d say it is to drop the naps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now