Two-year old, partial co-sleeping - it really needs to stop now. help!!

(5 Posts)
loresho Wed 30-Mar-16 16:05:48

I need some help with getting DD (26 months old) to sleep in her own bed all night.

We co-slept when she was little, and then she moved into her own room and cotbed fine. She goes off to sleep there, no problems. But, without fail, she comes into our room and gets into bed with us at some point in the night. It was fine (and I actually loved snuggling up with her), but she's now just getting too big, she wriggles and kicks in her sleep, and I have a bruised lip from the middle-of-the-night punch she dealt last night. DH has a pretty demanding and stressful job, and the lack of sleep is now beginning to take its toll.

I just don't know how to get her to stay in her bed all night. The few times I've tried to take her back to her bed, and sit with her till she fell asleep again, resulted in hysteria and she'd end up wide awake. I've also tried camping out in her room, sleeping on the floor, which didn't work either. There's no space in our room to bring her bed in, nor is there room to upgrade our bed to a superking.

I know there isn't an easy solution to this, but I wonder if there's anything that might help? any tips?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Wed 30-Mar-16 16:09:12

A gro-clock was my savior with DD1! She knew not to come out of bed until the blue moon and stas turned into a yellow sun ( I set this at 7am) and had a reward chart in the beginning with the premise of a prize at the end of it (I did 7 nights) It worked, and always did after that! As she got older she would read or play quietly til it was time to get up. Can't reccomend it enough 😊

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Wed 30-Mar-16 16:10:12

This is the one!

loresho Thu 31-Mar-16 12:23:54

ooo I have been wondering about this... might have to give it a go. the promise of a green tamborine (which is the thing she wants most in the world at the moment) doesn't seem to have done the trick.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 31-Mar-16 16:48:12

It was a godsend for us, and DD used it til she was 6 or so and confident in telling the time. You can use it for naps too, and set an alarm if you want to keep naps a set length etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now