Co-sleeping with toddler, need some help

(5 Posts)
Salene Tue 29-Mar-16 07:46:26

So we co-sleep with our 18 month old and I'm due another baby in August

We are happy to continue co-sleeping with toddler till he is ready to go into his own bed

But the one issue id like to resolve is bed time we put him to bed in our bed at 7-7.30 and either me or oh lies with him till he sleeps this can be on a good night 30 mins and a bad night up to 2 hours

Now my issue is husband works away a month at a time so I'm going to struggle with a new born and having to lie down to get toddler to sleep

How can I work towards just popping him in the bed and leaving him to sleep himself or am I expecting the impossible, is it possible to leave a toddler alone to sleep in your bed.?

His sleep is generally ok, 7.30 to 6.30 with a couple short wa kings in night just wanting covers back on or a cuddle

He naps for 2 hours during day time

Any advice on how to sort this before baby comes is welcomed

Salene Tue 29-Mar-16 09:38:06

Anyone..? Has no one had this issue or sorted this issue..??

If not and you had a toddler and baby how did you manage bedtimes

Lovewatchingrainfall Tue 29-Mar-16 19:14:06

Hi, I don't have the same problems as you but I did co sleep with my DD. It is perfectly fine to leave your LO in the bed if you think they will be safe. Have you tried buying them bed or letting them choose it this is how my DD got out of our bed. The bed stayed in our room until she was happy to leave.

Your LO will need to learn that mummy will be busy with a new baby when it arrives and maybe start explaining now that mummy can't stay in the bed. Maybe instead of laying down you sit by the bed while they go off to sleep then slowly work your way out until they can sleep on your own.

No idea if any of it will work but it's worth a try. x

Chocolatteaddict1 Tue 29-Mar-16 19:24:48

I'd be able to have his own little bed? If I let dd go to sleep in our bed she will awake for ages. Cuddles is way more fun than going asleep. She goes to sleep in her own bed and goes off quickly most nights . My dd is three in May and still climbs in to our bed in the middle of the night. I end up coming down stsirs and getting on the couch. It's a pain in the backside.

She goes to bed fine but it could be for any number of things she shouts out for or wakes up. Recently it's -

The doors open
The doors shut
My hairs a mess
There is a spider
I need Olaf (teddy)

Honestly I wish I'd never started allowing her to get in bed with us as I'm due in November and it's going to be a squeeze. I think I'm going to start bring a little tougher - as in taking her back to bed when she gets up .

I'd get him in his own bed and brave it out now otherwise your going to be run ragged

Salene Tue 29-Mar-16 22:10:38

We had thought about getting him a bed, letting him choose one like Thomas or such likes and hoping he is excited to sleep in it

There is enough space in our room so I think we might try that first and see how we get on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now