nursery & naps

(8 Posts)
nicg85 Fri 18-Mar-16 20:01:19

My dd is 5 months old and can't self settle.
She falls asleep feeding or by being rocked and then gets transferred into crib. Will only sleep in crib at night.
Daytime naps are on me or our bed surrounded by lots of pillows.

She will be going to nursery in 5 or 6 months. I've started this week to try teach her to fall asleep on her own but so far not worked.

What if she still relies on being held to go to sleep when she starts nursery? Hopefully this won't be the case but it's worrying me.

Any tips on teaching her to self settle?

Thanks

nicg85 Sat 19-Mar-16 10:00:39

Anyone?

Littlefish Sat 19-Mar-16 10:17:04

6 months is absolutely ages away! 😀

Your Dd's sleep patterns may be completely different by then. Some nurseries, depending on staff numbers, may be able to spend time rocking your dd to sleep.

I just really wouldn't worry about it at the moment.

creamoftomato Sat 19-Mar-16 10:37:10

Absolutely don't bother doing anything at all. DS started nursery at 11mo having only ever been fed or rocked to sleep and with no routine whatsoever. Within one week he was napping on a mat on the floor with all the other babies (though is the same at home, still must be rocked in his buggy for a nap at 2yo!) nursery is magical, home rules don't apply. Don't stress yourself out about this for a moment longer.

nicg85 Sat 19-Mar-16 20:44:29

Thank you cream! You have put my mind at rest xx

NerrSnerr Sat 19-Mar-16 20:47:17

Mine is exactly the same, went to nursery at 12 months and within a week slept on the mat on the floor. At 18 months I'm still rocking her to sleep at home as I type

furtivefeline Sat 19-Mar-16 20:58:38

Yes agree that nap time at nursery versus home is completely different! I had similar but different worries - my dd could self settle at home but could only get herself to sleep in a quiet room completely alone (we had tried unsuccessfully to rock her to sleep etc but it never worked!) She was also completely dependent on her dummy (still is at 3yo blush)

She went to nursery at 12 months and we had a difficult few weeks where she didn't really nap but soon enough started to sleep there whilst being patted to sleep by nursery staff (they did that with all the babies) and without her dummy!

BellaBellaBelle Sun 20-Mar-16 20:23:05

Agree that nurseries are magical! 14 month old dd will only feed or be rocked to sleep at home, or out in the pushchair. First week at nursery it took them 5 mins of rocking and she slept for 90 mins, next week she was taking herself off to a beanbag/pillow! I think they completely tire themselves out and get used to doing what the other children do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now