Baby cries out in sleep suddenly and goes silent again within a couple of minutes

(5 Posts)
ParsleyTheLion1 Thu 17-Mar-16 12:41:16

My 14 mo DS often lets out sudden and sometimes blood-curdling cries in his sleep (often within the first few hours of going down). And settles just as suddenly as he started crying (within a few minutes) or just whimpers for a minute or two. Why and what might this be?

shoopshoopsong Thu 17-Mar-16 12:42:19

bad dream?

jazzandh Thu 17-Mar-16 12:47:57

I think it coincides with a change in the sleep cycles. Mine used to do more of this if they were overtired when they went to bed.

figginz Fri 18-Mar-16 21:14:28

Yeah mine does this too. I just thought she's an odd'un and assumed if it was serious she'd cry properly. But I am heartless.

FATEdestiny Sat 19-Mar-16 09:09:12

I would say this is just a sleep cycle transition, when sleep is lightest. At 14m baby has no language so every thought comes out as a cry. It may not even be a 'bad' dream, just a normal dream or imagination. But baby can't put into words any of their imagination so it comes out as a semi-conscious cry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now