Night Screaming :(

(7 Posts)
TheVeryHungryScreamerpillar Sat 12-Mar-16 02:33:46

So it's 2.26am and I'm awake listening to my 1 year old DS scream.
He's always been such a good sleeper but twice this week I've had horrific nights with him. I know he's teething, his lower canines look really sore, so I give him calpol before he goes to bed. He self settles to sleep at night, with no issues when I first put him down at 7pm but twice this week he's woken at 12.30 ish and been inconsolable. I've tried everything, changing him, rocking him, more calpol, teething gel, letting him cry, bringing him into my bed (which I NEVER do) and nothing works.
Is this 1 year sleep regression or teething? He's had chicken pox (started about 10 days ago) but they have pretty much cleared now.

He's happy and active during the day. Takes one 2-3 hour nap and there's been no change to eating habits.

Mondrian Sat 12-Mar-16 04:00:25

Not sure if relevant but around the same age my DD would sometimes break into a crying/screaming fit at nights (teeth or nightmare?) and the only thing that would make her stop was the moon I'd take her to the window and try to find the moon. I just guessed that she didn't know how to stop and just needed something to take her mind of it.

Joneseygirl77 Sat 12-Mar-16 07:40:54

Have you tried nurofen and anbesol? I've always found that combo much better for longer lasting pain relief for teething. Not sure it'll solve your problems though but worth a try.

Murphyslaw21 Sat 12-Mar-16 07:46:23

Mines done this a couple of times. She is 10 months. In the end I brought downstairs put telly on for 10 mins. This seemed to distract her for the sleepiness to occur and she went back off.

LowlLowl Sat 12-Mar-16 07:52:20

We had the same with DS1 at about 16 months. We came to the conclusion it was bad dreams as half the time he was barely (if at all) awake whilst screaming and crying. Nothing for it but to cuddle him in the rocking chair in the nursery and sing soothing songs until it passed. Sometimes some water from his sippy cup helped too. You'll be pleased to hear it was just a phase and after about a month it didn't happen anymore.

Good luck!

HeffalumpHistory Sat 12-Mar-16 07:56:37

I always go for ibuprofen before calpol. It seems to work faster & be longer lasting for dd. You can then always give the other a bit later if really needed.
Teething is horrible. Hope you both get a decent night soon flowers

TheVeryHungryScreamerpillar Sat 12-Mar-16 09:15:08

Thank you, all good suggestions. I don't really think it's his teeth as I'm not giving him any pain relief during the day and he naps fine.
I would usually give Neurofen instead of calpol for teething but as he's had chickenpox in the last 2 weeks, I swapped to Calpol as I've heard its not advisable to give NSAIDS during chickenpox.
Last night he woke at 12.20am and finally fell asleep at 3am 😭.
Thank goodness it's Saturday and I can nap when he does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now