8mo very early waking

(5 Posts)
waitingforsomething Tue 08-Mar-16 07:56:14

At the end of my tether with DS who is waking at 4.45 and not going back to sleep. I feed him around 5.30- he takes around 5oz and still won't go back to sleep.
His usually bedtime is just before 7pm. His first nap is never till after 9 as we drop dd to pre-school. His total daytime sleep is never more than 2.5 hours. He eats well
Things ive tried:
Shortening morning sleep
Earlier bedtime for a week
Later bedtime for a week
Ignoring
Feeding

Any ideas?

fluffikins Tue 08-Mar-16 13:52:53

Mine did this for a week or so I think it's just developmental they're learning so much their brains are so busy processing it all they can't sleep

chloechloe Sat 12-Mar-16 07:53:40

I could have written the exact same post! My DD is 11 months and is awake every day at 4:45/5 after going to bed at 7. I really think there is nothing you can do, other than find a way of coping. Some babies are just early risers and if they've been asleep from 7pm it's not really reasonable to expect them to sleep longer than that. It's all the wretched routine books out there that have us thinking evey baby is a robot that should sleep from 7pm to 7am. Putting them to bed later doesn't help in my experience as many babies just wake up at the same time regardless.

With DD I bring her in to our bed when she wakes and we will sometimes manage to snooze for 30-45 min before she insists on getting up by crawling all over the bed.

With the upcoming clock change, 5am will become 6am, so you could start putting DS to bed at 8pm, which should hopefully mean to wakes at 6am. I actually like having DD in bed for 7 as it means I have the evening to myself and I have to be up early for work anyway.

CornishDoll82 Sat 12-Mar-16 10:20:57

How long has he been doing it for? Every now and then my little girl will do this for a few days but then seems to go back to a later wake up.

When you say he won't go back to sleep, what actually happens if you leave him? Does he cry? If not could you try leaving him? My little girl woke early this morning and seemed wide awake but I put her down and watched on video monitor, she kicked around for 5 mins and then went back to sleep for an hour!

Nottsangel2015 Mon 14-Mar-16 06:01:53

My dd is the same she is 8 months (5.5 corrected) she is in bed for 7-7.30am and up between 5-5.30 which I really do not mind as its 10 hours however she has now started waking in the night between 1 and 4am and still getting up at that time which i do mind! So now I'm tired, I've tried leaving her but she just cried and I have another dd (10) who I don't want to wake. She isn't hugely hungry when she wakes either as when she wakes in the night she's drinking about 4oz! Just seems to be her get up time!
My first dd slept great 7.30 - 7am! I Think this one is broken lol winkshe was doing so well until about a month ago and was sleeping through 7-5am and now for the last month has been waking up pretty much every night probably 6 out of 7! I hope it's a phase but it's a bloody long one!
Sorry no advise just wanted to say we're the same here x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now