Consolidating daytime naps (4.5 mo)

(6 Posts)
Haworthiia Tue 23-Feb-16 19:56:46

Ds is almost five months and has had a lot of changes in his sleep over the last six weeks or so, which tally with what I've read about the 4 m regression. We're dealing with it by really working on the daytime naps and I think it's gradually getting better. He's still waking a lot at night though, and I'm very, very tired.

So recently he's been having very short naps in the day (45 mins/one sleep cycle) but over the last 2-3 days he's been very sleepy in the daytime. He seems to do this after a growth spurt. These last few days he's been able to have a much longer nap in the day, of 2.5 hours, but only if I'm laid next to him and resettle him before he truly wakes

My question is this: how can I encourage him to link his sleep cycles in order to have a consistent longer daytime nap? it would be so, so nice to be able to catch up on sleep/housework again!

He won't take a dummy, and is teething so probably not a good time to push a dummy. Any ideas, or is this something that just needs time to sort? Am I doing the right thing by resettling him before he truly wakes?

CityDweller Wed 24-Feb-16 11:30:59

Resettling when he wakes after 1 sleep cycle should help. I had to do this with my dd for a long time before she started taking longer naps. With her I had to rock her back to sleep. With DS I can pop his dummy back in and he'll go back to sleep, usually...

Ive found whether or not they self-settle for naps makes no difference to whether they make it through a sleep cycle, btw.

JuxtapositionRecords Wed 24-Feb-16 20:58:49

It's a developmental thing I'm afraid, you just have to wait it out and encourage resettling however possible

Haworthiia Thu 25-Feb-16 09:34:40

Ok, add some essence of time then ... smile

I am absolutely on my knees with tiredness. I don't think I've slept more than 2-3 hours since he was born.

Firstmum24 Sat 27-Feb-16 18:47:35

Haworthiia I feel your pain, my 18week old DD fits your description word for word. I am missing a trick with the day time naps, i have just been assuming she needs shorter naps instead of pushing for the second cycle. I must try to resettle from now on!!

Sending hugs and thoughts of sleep, it will get better - i am counting on it !

mrsmugoo Sat 27-Feb-16 20:31:25

In my experience you can do your own head in over this and become a bit obsessed with it.

The longer naps just come in their own time - mine had never slept longer than 45 minutes at a time since birth then at 6 months a drop from 3 to 2 naps coincided with them lengthening to 90 mins each.

I am pregnant with my second now and I have vowed I won't spend 6 months being consumed with trying to get her to sleep longer than 45 minutes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now