mothers that breastfeed and Co sleep I need your advice

(24 Posts)
littleblackdress26 Mon 15-Feb-16 18:07:28

Hi I'm currently struggling to get my 13 week old to stay asleep during the day she gets to sleep by feeding but she just can't stay asleep is it something I'm doing ? How do you get your babies to sleep during the day ? At night I lay down with her and feed to sleep and i will stay in bed but there isn't time during the day as i have another child . I'm aware of how useful a dummy may be for this but she refuses it . I also know there are sleep cycles so I wait and wait and then as soon as I move her off me she wakes up and then we repeat!
TIA .

MooPointCowsOpinion Mon 15-Feb-16 18:12:19

I used a sling with my youngest when she was small, so I could still run after my eldest. Youngest would sleep in the sling whenever she wanted, I didn't bother monitoring it. As you're probably aware, there's a huge growth spurt around 16 weeks and then there's teething and stomach upsets from weaning to follow and separation anxiety at 8 months and 12 months...

So many things disrupt sleep, I wouldn't even fret, it all settles down eventually. Whatever works, do that.

catkind Mon 15-Feb-16 18:15:30

I mostly didn't feed to sleep in the day with cosleeping DD. I mostly fed her when she woke up and she went in a sling or pram to sleep. Even if she needed a milk top-up, we'd stir her enough to get her in the sling. Sling was considerably more effective - she'd nap three times as long, then wake really hungry so she'd be ready for a big feed on waking.
Just what worked for us. DS (older) was fed to sleep and the amount of time trapped under baby just wouldn't have worked with sibling to look after.

lljkk Mon 15-Feb-16 18:30:44

walks in buggy, dash home soon as they drop off & leave them in buggy until they wake. Didn't work with DC4 though (sigh)

littleblackdress26 Mon 15-Feb-16 19:04:52

lljkk i do that too i take her for a drive or spend extra long in tesco I lug the car seat in as quietly as I can open the door sit down and I see two bright eyes looking back hmm
moo and cat you both mentioned slings , does it hurt your back by any chance ? Carrying her for 10 mins kills my back for some reason, I can't imagine tying her to me for hours on end although it does sound promising!
I wouldn't mind too much if.it was just me and her but I would like to tend to my son when he gets home from school etc . Ah well I know it will pass soon enough .

Artandco Mon 15-Feb-16 19:07:55

I could slept and breastfed but never actually fed to sleep.

In the Evenings and day baby would be fed in living room with lights on, at bedtime I would take baby into bed and settle to sleep without feeding. Same in the day

peacefuleasyfeeling Mon 15-Feb-16 19:15:52

I second letting baby sleep in a sling. Just takes the pressure off and you can get on with things.

Eggsandketchup Mon 15-Feb-16 19:18:36

Sling, white noise, rocking in pram. Actually don't do rocking in the pram. My now 21 month old still rarely falls asleep without it fuck sake

knaffedoff Mon 15-Feb-16 19:19:29

Look out for a sling library locally to hire a comfortable sling, a bad doing does hurt one :-(

Ughnotagain Mon 15-Feb-16 19:22:58

A good supportive sling shouldn't be uncomfortable. I can easily carry my 8.5 month old (75th centile!) for ages. We went out for a walk last week up and down a massive hill and were out for over an hour.

I do remember though when she was around that 12/13 week mark we had an absolutely hellish couple of weeks where she just would not nap. It did settle down but it took some time. Could be similar for you maybe?

WhatTheActualFugg Mon 15-Feb-16 19:25:31

Sit on the settee all day every day until weaning. Put feet up, prop up arms with loads of pillows so you can't drop baby. Go to sleep.

totally unhelpful

Artandco Mon 15-Feb-16 19:32:00

Oh and yes I used a sling most the day. Meant I could work on laptop whilst baby slept, and with second meant I could be with eldest

catkind Mon 15-Feb-16 23:59:07

Yeah, a good sling shouldn't be hurting you. It's a much more comfortable position than holding in arms. As a PP said, a sling library could be a good way of finding something that's really comfortable for you, if you have one locally.

littleblackdress26 Sat 20-Feb-16 12:29:08

Sorry just seeing these now. I'm seeing most of you suggest slings. What slings would u recommend?

SmallBearMumma Sat 20-Feb-16 12:33:45

I have an amawrap which is lovely and soft. My DD usually protests when I put her in but as soon as I move she goes to sleep.

ACatCalledFang Sat 20-Feb-16 12:44:38

I have a Manduca, which I got when my DS was the same age as your baby. It's a more structured carrier, which I find better for my back, and I hope it'll last longer - you can carry on your front (facing you), hip or back. DS is 5.5 months now and still likes it - he'll sleep in it when we're out, though he usually sleeps for longer in his pushchair.

I can't recommend sling libraries enough - we hired a Close Caboo at first (soft stretchy sling) but it did nothing for my back; they then suggested the Manduca.

ACatCalledFang Sat 20-Feb-16 12:46:56

Oh, and I doubt it's something you're doing - mine feeds to sleep but only stays asleep in my arms/on my lap. I can get away with this because he's my first, but wouldn't be possible with an older child.

Artandco Sat 20-Feb-16 13:14:36

Boba 4g sling

Nectarines2016 Wed 24-Feb-16 08:52:19

We got given two wrap slings, one woven and one elasticated. They look lovely and I do use them if I'm taking baby to clinic as it's easy to get them in and out and since you keep it on you don't have to worry about carrying one extra thing. However, my baby doesn't like it as much as our structured carrier - a beco Gemini - which is really comfortable to start. I am also a bit paranoid about suffocation and overheating in wrap slings, but the structured carriers are less hot (open sides) and baby seems to sit better and be less squished. We love the beco in our house! I'd go along to sling library and see what works for you and your baby. Also, my baby didn't like any sling at first so we started with very short periods in the house before building up to longer walks. On days when she won't be put down, or reflux is bad, it's amazing.

Pidapie Wed 24-Feb-16 09:29:31

My little one used to sleep in his pram, with a little cuddly, and on a sheep skin so it was nice and soft. I would rock or walk him to sleep outside (can rock inside too if you have room) and he would just accept it and go to sleep after maybe 15 minutes or so. And he would stay asleep for a few hours as well. You might not be as lucky, but it's worth a try. Breastfeed and co-sleep all night, as the pram trick only works in the daytime!

Whoami24601 Wed 24-Feb-16 11:11:04

We were lent a close caboo and it was amazing! Second a sling library though- then you can try lots and see what works for you

littleblackdress26 Sat 05-Mar-16 10:07:16

Just a lil update I've bought a carrier I can't seem to get to my sling library yet. She doesn't really like it yet. . Do they like it straight away or does it take some time?

MrsUnderwood Sat 05-Mar-16 10:16:07

I BF and co-slept w DD and doing same with DS. Daughter would sleep in sling or buggy did we were out, son will sleep in his buggy, doesn't seem keen on slings despite
Liking being held.

littleblackdress26 Sat 05-Mar-16 16:35:45

Ah I just seen what nectarines said.
My other half is always mentioning using the pram as I dnt use it much as I drive i suppose I could get good use of it in the house as well..and thank you mrs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now