4 month old and naps

(7 Posts)
Givemecoffeeplease Sat 13-Feb-16 21:36:37

My first baby never slept more than 30 mins in the day - not for me the mythical 2 hour lunchtime nap...! Second DC is 4 months and sleeps 7pm-8am, waking for feeds and the occasional grizzle (I'm aware how amazing this is). He naps 9.15am and. 4.30pm for 30 mins ish. It's the 12.15 nap I want to establish as a longer nap but he sleeps til 1pm and that's as good as I can get. I've occasionally had some success walking him outside, or tried to settle him in his cot. Any clues for how to stretch out this middle nap, or am I aiming too high?! If it's relevant, he's breastfed apart from a bottle before bed at 6.15pm so my DH can have a cuddle and do that feed. I tried "wake to sleep" with DC1 and it totally failed....!

FATEdestiny Sun 14-Feb-16 12:25:11

He's a bit young for long naps yet, they establish somewhere around 5m - 7m old. For now, shorter 30-45 minute naps are quite normal. Try to make them frequent though - 5 naps a day is not unusual at this age.

Keep on trying to resettle him back to sleep when he wakes. Its fine if it doesn't often work now, but it will do in time.

Givemecoffeeplease Sun 14-Feb-16 15:53:38

Thanks FATE. Maybe I'm just trying for too much too soon. Appreciate your feedback.

Unhappyexpat Sun 14-Feb-16 17:30:33

The only way I can settle mine back at that age is if I'm lying /sitting with them, they stir, I pop the boob back in and he falls back to sleep.

I wonder why they can join sleep cycles at night but not in the day?

poocatcherchampion Sun 14-Feb-16 17:34:04

I wonder that too re joining sleep cycles. Weird things babies.

With my 4mo I can get short Naps in the bouncy chair or longer Naps on me with occasional stiring. I try to sit with him in the afternoons and relax and sniggle him.

Sorry typos - under baby!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 14-Feb-16 17:35:25

I've got 2 and neither of mine napped longer than 30 mins until they hit around 5-6 months and then they naturally started to lengthen. DD2 is now 7 months and gets up at 6am, naps for 40 mins at 9, an hour and a half at 12.30 and sometimes another 30 mins at 4ish, sometimes not.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 14-Feb-16 17:36:14

Actually DD1 didn't nap more than 40 mins until she dropped to one nap at 11 months!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now