Baby won't sleep in Moses basket!

(13 Posts)
Laurenem Mon 08-Feb-16 22:29:32

Hi,

My little girl is 16days old, and for the past few days she will not sleep in her Moses basket!! It's mainly during the day she won't, and will only sleep on me, won't even sleep on my partner! Was just wondering if anyone had any advice on what I can do to get her to sleep in her Moses basket?
Thanks

LaContessaDiPlump Mon 08-Feb-16 22:31:02

Wait until she gets older.

That's it, really.

Sorry. This too shall pass flowers

junemami Mon 08-Feb-16 22:36:32

As above, enjoy the cuddles, and try to get a shower when there's somebody else there for her to sleep on smile congratulations on your new little bundle flowers

FifiFerusha Mon 08-Feb-16 22:37:51

She will eventually. Mine would only sleep in a bouncy chair at that age and now refuses to. Yet, similarly didn't want to go in the Moses basket. My midwife gave me some really good advice. We propped one end up with a cushion under the mattress and rolled a small cellular blanket in a sausage shape and then shaped it in a semi circle this propped up his legs and made him feel more cosy. I also used on of my tops as a sheet( not sure it made a difference, we never know ). We also repeatedly laid him down in the Moses basket, even not for sleep as though this was his little place to be. He got there eventually. Don't worry too much about her sleeping on you, she has just come out of you and you are her comfort(fourth trimester and all that).It will change. .and congratulations x

nicg85 Tue 09-Feb-16 02:34:21

Have you tried swaddling before putting down in Moses basket?
Also warming the basket with a hot water bottle before you put baby in it might help?

hufflebottom Tue 09-Feb-16 03:48:03

Move to Crib or cot. Dd wouldn't sleep in Moses basket no matter what I did.

I couldn't sleep with her on me as I would panic that I'd roll over and squish her (really struggled with everything after I had her) so I hadn't slept much for the first few weeks.

Even when we moved her into the cot we had a few nights where she wouldn't sleep but so many less than if she'd stayed in the Moses basket.

Skiptonlass Tue 09-Feb-16 07:06:57

What contessa said. smile

Best bit of parenting advice anyone ever gave me was "everything is a phase."

EsmesBees Tue 09-Feb-16 07:20:33

Mine hated sleeping in the Moses basket (or anything with high sides). We used a sleepyhead insert which was fantastic. Started off with it between us in bed and then moved it into the crib.

Plateofcrumbs Tue 09-Feb-16 07:35:06

Ah yes I remember the first week or two when DS was still post-birth snoozy and was happy to be laid down in his Moses basket whilst I pottered about and thought 'this is easy'. Then he woke up a bit and decided that my chest (or DH's, at a push) was the only place to be.

Sleepyhead worked for us eventually, until then he slept on my chest whilst I slept propped up with my V pillow to stop me moving.

Lovemybubble15 Tue 09-Feb-16 09:37:14

My lo hated his Moses and would sleep on mine and OHs chests. I bought a co crib and also bought a sleepy head but after a while he wouldn't sleep in either! So I co-slept which meant I slept very lightly for fear of crushing him, but he liked to be held close. At 6 months he is now in his own room and cot and sleeps through the night! He likes to be on his tummy so I think that's why he slept so well on us. I have to say tho I do miss him sleeping on my chest tho even at the time it seemed a nightmare X

Laurenem Wed 10-Feb-16 21:20:35

Thank you for all the advice everyone. I'm slowly trying everything, but it seems to be getting worse! Now is becoming a nightmare at night time too!

Coconut0il Wed 10-Feb-16 21:26:22

Reading about the fourth trimester really made me feel better when my DS2, now 6 months, would only sleep on me. In the end I just gave up trying the moses basket as I found we both got more sleep if we co slept.

zipzap Wed 10-Feb-16 23:20:45

ds2 was like this - the midwife suggested it was because he liked to have something around him rather than space, if that makes sense.

I had a large pack of old fashioned terry towelling nappies (that were incredibly useful and 10 years on still get used for all sorts of things, only thing they were never used for was as nappys!) which we rolled up like thick sausages and put on either side of ds, from under his arms down his side and it really helped - think it made him feel more secure. (and even now at 7 he is still a little limpet - if I sit down to watch tv and he's also watching, moments later he'll be sitting on me or snuggled next to me to carry on watching).

Making sure it isn't too cold also made a difference - even giving it a brisk rub with your hands where her face will go will warm it up. Think about it - if you're all warm and snuggly and then suddenly your face goes down on a cold surface it's a shock to the system.

Final thing that helped was raising the head end of the moses basket in case your dd has reflux or a snotty nose etc - we used to put the moses basket in the cot, so raised the head end of the cot up with a couple of telephone directories.

skiptonlass my dad used to say the best bit of advice that anyone ever gave him about parenting was that the first 51 years were the worst grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now