Breastfed baby not sleeping much? Try this...

(10 Posts)
Maffy Thu 04-Feb-16 21:41:23

Have you tried cutting coffee from your own diet?!

It worked for me!!!

My DC3 would not take a bottle so was entirely breastfed. For 11 months he drove me crazy, hardly sleeping and often waking eight times a night. I tried all the advice in help books/mumsnet, to no avail.

Since cutting out coffee, he has only woken once at night. I feel like a teenager again!

Apologies if this is glaringly obvious, BUT why wasn't I told this?!

mawbroon Thu 04-Feb-16 21:42:45

I hate coffee so never drink it.

Ds1 was still a shit sleeper.......

Glad it helped in your case though!

Wardrobespierre Thu 04-Feb-16 21:46:38

Nope don't drink coffee. Both dc were rubbish sleepers.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Thu 04-Feb-16 21:48:47

I have a BF 14mo who doesn't sleep fantastically, usually anywhere between 1-3 wake ups overnight.
In the last month I've stopped drinking caffeiney tea after 2pm in case it was getting in my milk (although I'm sure I read it doesn't) and I've not noticed an improvement.
I'm not sure I can give up my morning coffee too! shock brew

Effiethemonster Thu 04-Feb-16 21:51:33

Don't tell me this, I need coffee.

StitchesInTime Thu 04-Feb-16 21:57:59

It depends on the baby.

I drank lots of caffeinated drinks, and breastfed DS2 has always been a great little sleeper.

dlwelly Thu 04-Feb-16 21:59:30

I'm all for trying this!

I read somewhere that caffeine can take 3 days to get out of the baby's system.

I've switched to decaf tea but need to get rid of chocolate and Diet Coke too!

Unhappyexpat Fri 05-Feb-16 10:01:54

The first few months they don't metabolise caffeine well so it stays in their system. After a few months they start to get better at it.
I wondered about this and switched to decaf tea.

Ds still won't sleep, but I'm glad it worked for someone

nicg85 Fri 05-Feb-16 16:29:22

This post has got me thinking.....

The last 2 nights my 14 week old dd has not slept well at all and it just happens that the last few days I've eaten loads of chocolate.
She's bf so do you think this could be the reason why she's been a nightmare sleeper??
I'm going to cut chocolate out and see if it makes a difference.
I don't drink coffee and only have 1 cup of tea per day so don't think drinking tea will make a difference.

Sleepingtom Fri 05-Feb-16 16:49:07

Good post op. Maybe I should try it. I have always found it hard to give up caffeine because of how blooming knackering it all is!

A friend of mine did. When I asked if it worked she said not noticeably but they didnt want to give the baby another reason to wake up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now