2 week old will not be put down

(20 Posts)
rachndan Tue 02-Feb-16 06:22:34

Hi all

We are looking for advice and some help please.

Our 2 week old DD will not be put down on her back to go to sleep at night. During the day she will go in her rocker, car seat and will be held but again will not stay laying flat on her back without crying.

At night we can just JUST about get her to sleep on her back at the beginning of us going to sleep. However when she has a feed she will only settle on my chest. If we put her on her back she just cries. She wont take a dummy either.

We have tried swaddling. Nothing works.

We dont want to have her sleeping on my chest but cant have her non stop crying.

When does this tend to stop? Anything else we can try.

Its 6.20 and she is on my chest, awake and not settling but not crying at least.

Thanks

StrumpersPlunkett Tue 02-Feb-16 06:34:28

Congratulations on your daughter! V envious of that lovely newborn smell

How was your birth? Sometimes tiny babies it seems can have a sore head from the birth that takes a little time to ease. We saw a cranial osteopath but I know lots of people who say they are bunkam
Also fwiw I also a fair few babies who never settled on their backs and were tummy sleepers from the get go. Will she settle if she is on her tummy?
So many questions. Sorry!

ScarlettDarling Tue 02-Feb-16 06:36:58

Try not to worry, she's still absolutely tiny. Things, in my experience, tend to settle down at about the 6 week mark.

Choose one approach and stick with it for a while. Try swaddling her and putting her down. Give her a little while to settle and don't pick her up at the first sound she makes. It's quite normal for babies to grizzle a little bit as they drop off.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Tue 02-Feb-16 06:39:31

All 3 of mine have been exactly the same. My 10 week old still sleeps on me for naps and after about 4am. Trite to say but it will pass! Mine have all been tummy sleepers, they could never go more than 10 minutes on their backs. Controversial j know though.
I'd get some pillows and just get some sleep propped up. I've always gradually moved mine next to me then gradually into co sleeper or Moses basket. Congratulations on your baby, so lovely aren't they 😍

rachndan Tue 02-Feb-16 06:46:14

She had cranial osteopathy yday doesnt seem to have helped.

We have a 4 yo DD too that we dont want to wake with crying in the night.

Thought we would try her in her new automatic rocker that worked yday but no i am now rocking her in my arms to keep her quiet.

Shes does better when out in the car.

We just find it hard to get anything done inc any sleep when she never wants to be put down.

I cant believe she wont take a dummy either. We have tried several brands.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Tue 02-Feb-16 06:49:27

I know it's often said, but have you got a sling? It's the only way I get anything done as I have a 4 and 2 year old. They don't like being left on their own for a while really.
Mine all refused dummy's too, horrendous. I'm currently trying to force one on dc3. If you find a solution please let me know!

Plateofcrumbs Tue 02-Feb-16 06:52:41

Very normal! Frustrating as hell but totally normal. It will pass. I did exactly same as PP and gradually (over first few months) moved my DS from sleeping on me, to next to me, to beside crib.

StrumpersPlunkett Tue 02-Feb-16 06:58:50

Ooh and as pp s have said both my boys refused dummys

rachndan Tue 02-Feb-16 07:00:28

Was nowhere near this bad with DD1. However DD2 has CMA so on nutramigen. So perhaps the stress over the last week or so diagnosing CMA may have made her more needy than anticipated?

rachndan Tue 02-Feb-16 07:05:54

Any recommendations for slings?

NotWithoutMyMerkin Tue 02-Feb-16 07:14:34

I'd recommend a stretchy wrap such as a Kari me for a newborn. They look complex but I promise after a couple of practises it's easy and you can pop them in and out. Perfect for a squish, has them in the right position, comfy for you and OH can use it too.

From my experience this is really common with tiny babies. It's the reason we ended up safe cosleeping, despite initially being opposed to the idea. Tiny baby just wants to be safe and warm and they crave touch and your skin and the noise of your breathing - it's biologically the safest place for them to be. Hugs - it's hard but remember it's just a phase.

Stepawayfromthezebras Tue 02-Feb-16 07:26:48

My little one is 11 days old and for the first few days would only sleep on us. She'll settle on her back now, a white noise app worked for us along with swaddling. The apps called baby sleep and I use the in utero noise. Also only put her in the cot when she's fully asleep and put a muslin that I've been wearing down my bra in with her. Apparently putting a hot water bottle in the cot a bit before they go in it can help too (obvs taken out before the baby goes in...)

rachndan Tue 02-Feb-16 07:32:07

We have tried the white noise (have it on every night), hot water bottle before hand and the swaddle blanket. Think we have a difficult one this time.

Stepawayfromthezebras Tue 02-Feb-16 09:58:05

[Flowers] I hope she settles down for you soon x

Artandco Tue 02-Feb-16 10:03:46

Have. A look at a sleepyhead. They can go in it and safely co sleep next to you. It's snug so they might prefer as feels more womb like, and you can lay next to it with hand on her for comfort but sleep yourself easier

I would swaddle them inside and look at getting one of those microwave heat packs. If you wake to feed her, get Dh to heat the heat pack and lay in the sleepyhead whilst she feeds. Then take out before she goes back.

At 2 weeks she is small though. Often every week makes a huge difference at that age so continue putting her down and trying but also its normal for them to want to be close.

SouthernComforter Tue 02-Feb-16 19:10:34

I moved my ds to a sleepyhead when he was about 2 weeks old and haven't used the moses basket since. He's 12 weeks old today. I think lots of babies don't like being on their backs or in a basket. With ds1 my dad suggested putting him on his side to sleep as I was adamant putting him on his front was dangerous. Side sleeping was an improvement (I didn't have the sleepyhead then. And he was a bit older).

JasperDamerel Tue 02-Feb-16 19:13:42

It sounds absolutely normal to me.

BifsWif Tue 02-Feb-16 21:42:37

My DD did this. She had silent reflux and it hurt her to lie on her back after a feed.

Plateofcrumbs Tue 02-Feb-16 23:16:50

I loved the sleepyhead (eventually - took some perseverance and I threw across the room in despair on more than one occasion). Still miss having him snuggled up in the middle of the bed in the sleepyhead!

MazzleDazzle Tue 02-Feb-16 23:29:39

I bought a wedge for my DD's Moses basket/cot, which meant she was in a slightly elevated position. I also had the Kari-Me sling that someone mentioned up thread. Also, The Baby Whisperer book was a godsend!

This is a wonderful, but exhausting and difficult time! Don't do too much and try to take it easy when you can. A happy mum, baby and family are the only important things for now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now