The 5am breastfeeding no longer helping sleep

(7 Posts)
Bugaboom Fri 22-Jan-16 10:12:53

Hello
I know early waking has been done to death (I've been here before with ds!) but I just wondered if anyone had some ideas for my dd. She's 12 months, recently night weaned. Occasionally twice she sleeps through from 6.30/7 to about 5/6 but generally we have a couple of wake ups easily settling with a cuddle. She usually wakes 4.30-5 and is much harder to settle. So I end up feeding at 5. At first she'd doze back off cosleeping and feeding til 7.30 which was great, but now she's wanting to get up at 5.30. Any ideas how I can push that 5am feed to 6am? Or am I being a bit unfair as she's generally had a decent sleep stretch?

CityDweller Fri 22-Jan-16 16:47:07

What happens if you leave her when she wakes up at 5am? Is she crying, or is she just chatting to herself? Might she go back to sleep if you left her for a bit? (This is what we did with DD to drop the 5am feed)

Ifiwasabadger Fri 22-Jan-16 16:52:06

We did a dream feed (ff) at 11, this took ours through to 7. Worth a try?

Bugaboom Fri 22-Jan-16 18:31:05

Thanks both. She tends to grumble at first and then it escalates. Always concerned she'll wake 3 year old ds (all up at 5.30 today) so we probably do react very quickly. I'll try leaving her a bit longer

Iguessyourestuckwithme Fri 22-Jan-16 18:33:50

I would stop resettling her with a cuddle and get her to self settle then she may go back quicker - by the time shes waited for you to come through and then the hug she is probably more awake than if she knew how to get back to sleep.

LikeSilver Fri 22-Jan-16 18:36:58

Exactly the same as my DS (he's one next week). A total shock to the system after textbook sleeper DD. I've no idea, nothing works here angrygrin I'm clinging onto the hope that he'll sleep longer when he drops his morning nap #naive

Bugaboom Fri 22-Jan-16 18:50:35

Ha ha likesilver. After 12 months of being woken up bf every 2 hours I thought I'd feel amazing on the amount of sleep I'm now getting. But I'd forgotten how awful being up at 5 is and how long the day is. Nothing worked with my first, he woke at 5am for nearly 2 years and then suddenly started sleeping til 7. So I need to nip this in the bud. Thanks all for the suggestions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now