EBF baby - when will he stretch out his feeds?

(5 Posts)
Newmummy2012 Thu 21-Jan-16 21:37:50

I am just after some advice - when can I expect my EBF 9 week old to stretch out his feeds? He is every 2 hours in the day and 2-3 hours at night. I am considering giving him a bottle at night to get a few more hours sleep but if he's likely to do it himself any time soon then I think I'll stick it out!

Please don't misunderstand this post - I know it's normal for him to feed this often at the moment and am happy to stick with it - just wondered if anyone can tell me when their EBF babies started sleeping a bit more? I have ready Baby Whisperer and would love to get him on a 3 hour EASY at some point! He's big - weighed 9 lb 6 oz at birth and now 14lb at 9 weeks - so I think the breast milk is working well for him!

Thanks!

Micah Thu 21-Jan-16 21:43:19

It was about 12 weeks for me i think.

Nearly there! I remember all too well that pull to a bottle just to get a few solid hours. if id have had formula in the house i might have weakened.

By about 9 or 10 weeks it did start getting better, and by 12 it was 6pm bedtime feed, 9pm, 2am and 6 am, which was bearable. Especially as it was feed and straight back to sleep. The 9pm feed went not long after.

60sname Thu 21-Jan-16 21:51:48

I can't remember when DS (now 16w) started to stretch out his feeds during the day but he has been doing 8-10 hours at night since about 10w so you might be nearly there. Once he started sleeping longer at night this picked up quickly. Mine is smaller (still only 12lb) so size not necessarily a factor.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Thu 21-Jan-16 21:59:32

I think about 12w for us. I did the EASY thing too but I hadn't read the book, just found it on here I think and found it a useful guide for a loose routine!
Do you co-sleep/side lie for night feeds? I loved this, she'd latch on and we'd both go off pretty quickly, I'd roll over and reposition her when she needed.
DH was in spare room as he had to go to work and I had the breasts, but I got much more sleep than I thought I would.
but it all went tits up at 4m

Cerseirys Thu 21-Jan-16 22:01:18

6 months, sorry OP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now