new baby will only sleep on me at night

(14 Posts)
NotSoFancyNancy Sat 16-Jan-16 06:04:11

Dc3 nearly 4 weeks will only sleep on me at nighttime. During the day he seems quite content, sleeps well in Moses basket or buggy, feeds well etc.
At night can rarely be put down,will not sleep beside me( would prefer not to cosleep but desperate)
I have tried a cosleeper and Moses basket. A dummy, white noise will not help. room is a good temperature.
Any suggestions, my hips, pelvis and sanity will be grateful!

icklekid Sat 16-Jan-16 06:11:47

Only suggestion that worked was me and dh took turns in between feeds so we both slept badly but weren't zombies. Otherwise sleep in day when baby is in moses basket to catch up.

Tips that didn't work for us-muslin smelling of me, hot water bottle to warm moses basket up. Never tried a sleepy head but next time might try a different job with a blanket under sheet.

It didn't last long and by 6 weeks we would wait for him to be fast asleep after feed- floppy arms and then transfer him (with white noise and dummy! )

NotSoFancyNancy Sat 16-Jan-16 06:20:42

Thanks for reply.Friend said her dd did 6 weeks too fingers crossed!
Hot water bottle tried too.
Dh is busy with older kids and work and breastfeeding does limit his involvement unfortunately!

fluffikins Sat 16-Jan-16 06:47:26

Totally normal - google 'fourth trimester'. Practically you just need someone else to help out. A sleepyhead worked for us in the end.

austengirl Sat 16-Jan-16 06:48:26

Mine's 2 months and exactly the same Nancy. I'm getting a Sleepyhead soon to see if that helps. Have you tried swaddling at all? We did a bit when he was a newborn but got out of the habit recently. Going to try that again as well. Good luck!

ALongTimeComing Sat 16-Jan-16 07:00:09

Swaddling using a huge muslin helped us.

NotSoFancyNancy Sat 16-Jan-16 07:01:24

Going to try to persevere with cosleeper or even cosleep.
I suffer from insomnia anyway so can cope quite well with less sleep.
Dh can not functions without and gets crippling migraines so will catch up on sleep during the day.
Swaddling did not help either!

RookieMonster Sat 16-Jan-16 07:14:07

Very, very normal. Baby will outgrow the need to sleep on you. I always loved this phase.

NotSoFancyNancy Sat 16-Jan-16 10:55:46

Resigned myself then!
All babies are different and hopefully will settle soon. Just nodded off himself now downstairs.

Nousername2015 Sun 17-Jan-16 05:45:05

I'm having the same issues with my 4 day old and have tried everything (muslin, my top, hot water bottle, propping mattress up so not flat, swaddling) but he is having none of it and won't go down at all.
Tonight I slept propped up on pillows with him on my chest - I'm a light sleeper so did wake a few times if I thought I felt the sensation of moving but I'm not happy to do this really, it was more about needing the sleep after having got about 7 hours over the last 3 days!
I am not averse to co sleeping but wouldn't feel comfortable doing it without something like a sleepyhead, it is a big investment - can anyone share any experiences?
Hope your baby starts sleeping better soon OP, when it happens I want to know what worked for you!

Luckystar1 Sun 17-Jan-16 06:49:16

I have no direct experience of the sleepyhead so feel very free to ignore me, but...

My friends who have had it deem them life savers, but, the real difficulties come a few months down the line when they are very, very dependant on them and they're too big for them and they won't sleep without it...

That's my 2p worth from what I've seen/heard

kittyvet Sun 17-Jan-16 07:03:54

I didn't find a sleepyhead much use. Take a look at La Leche league Safe Sleep Seven on their website. It will reassure you about co sleeping. I found the book by them Sweet Sleep very reassuring too that my baby was normal. We still co sleep at 15mths and wish I had from the beginning- would have saved a lot of sleepless nights!

NotSoFancyNancy Sun 17-Jan-16 10:07:22

Better night here. Ds spent a few hours in his cosleeper so getting there slowly but surely. First of many challenges no doubt!

Nousername2015 Mon 18-Jan-16 05:18:59

Some kind of miracle has happened here, we've done a full night in the moses! I've had 5 hours sleep!
Things I did differently tonight which may or may not have helped:
Limited evening cuddles from me due to the milk smells. DH settled him a lot more instead.
Played white noise app all night and left landing light on as a night light.
Put him down in moses when drowsy, not fully asleep.
Rolled up muslin placed across chest anf tucked around back under armpits helps to limit the startle reflex and make them feel more secure.

Long may this continue!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now