Sleep training- Toddler & child sharing

(6 Posts)
Dizzywizz Fri 08-Jan-16 01:31:44

Help! 16 month old shares with 3.5 yo brother, he settled himself until he was 6mth old & started crawling but since then have had to rock/feed to sleep, but he's too big now.

But how do I sleep train now he's walking plus sharing a room with his brother?! When I've tried cio in the past he just gets out of bed and gets hysterical. What do I do? Feel it's mean to shut the door but if I don't, he'll just leave the room! Any ideas appreciated.

Dizzywizz Fri 08-Jan-16 12:32:39

anyone? Shameless bump

elelfrance Fri 08-Jan-16 12:39:07

i have no useful advice here, sorry OP, but i'm placemarking, as I'll be putting my baby in with my 2 year old in a few months tltime, and have been wondering exactly the same thing!

Dizzywizz Fri 08-Jan-16 14:56:19

My rec would be do the sleep training b4 they go in together! Wish I'd done that tbh.

FATEdestiny Fri 08-Jan-16 21:19:29

You got it in one. I wouldn't have put them together until baby was sleeping through. My recommendation would be to bring baby's cot back into your room until his sleep is sorted. If possible, see if DC1 can have a sleep over somewhere (grandparents, auntie, uncle etc) for a weekend to give you some focused time to sleep train baby without disrupting the toddler's sleep.

DrNWeeks Mon 15-Feb-16 10:25:42

There are many approaches more gentle (and therefore quieter) than CIO derivatives. I also have a 3.5 year old sharing with my 19 month old, and I am about to attempt to get my 19 month old to sleep through.

I'm running a Free Toddler Sleep Challenge starting this Wednesday. The plan is a week of sleep logging, followed by a selection of approaches, implementation, and support from me and other mums all the way through.

You can find out more and sign up here: www.practicalresearchparenting.com/toddler-sleep-challenge/

I'm a registered psychologist, and I've been researching child sleep for 3 years - I have many options, just haven't committed to any yet.

Dr Nicole Weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now