How do I keep my toddler dry at night

(10 Posts)
lovecharms Thu 07-Jan-16 14:56:12

Anyone have any tips on how I can keep my 3 year old dry at night? DD has been toilet trained for almost a year but she's been struggling with keeping dry at night for a while.
I read that its best to avoid any juice or milk after 5pm (only offering water if they're thirsty) as this helps them to empty their bladder much quickly Going to the loo before bed is part of her bedtime routine and I get her up 2-3 time at night to use the the toilet but she ends up not going then a few minutes later she wets the bed. I'm at my wits end and I'm ordering what I haven't tried.

dementedpixie Thu 07-Jan-16 15:00:15

Put her back in nappies and wait! You can't train for night time dryness as it relies on production of a hormone that reduces urine made in the night. Until they do that you are pointless trying. Night wetting isn't considered an issue until around the age of 8

dementedpixie Thu 07-Jan-16 15:01:15

And stop getting her up through the night too as you are just disrupting everyone's sleep

Thurlow Thu 07-Jan-16 15:10:08

I agree - at this age, I would just go back to pull ups. Night time training isn't something you can teach, it's a physical development.

imwithspud Thu 07-Jan-16 15:24:03

There's not a lot you can do. My dd is also 3 and has been dry during the day since the summer, still has a pull up at night. I've had a couple of people hint that she should probably be out of pull ups by now but I'm honestly in no rush. I've read that it happens naturally over time, I'd stop with the waking her and put her back in pull ups. When she wakes up with a dry pull up then you know she's ready to stop wearing them at night.

lovecharms Thu 07-Jan-16 15:50:01

DD is going to be 4 in March so I thought this will be a good time to really help her. She also said she wants to stop wearing pull ups so this as a sign.

dementedpixie Thu 07-Jan-16 16:14:39

It's not a sign if she isn't capable of going all night without wetting. It's developmental and not something that you can force

Iwonderif Thu 07-Jan-16 16:18:11

Both my DC were almost 5 when they came out of pull-ups at night. I tried at aged 3 and resorted back to pull ups as everyone's night was disturbed. All children are different but maybe she's just not ready.

Ladyface Thu 07-Jan-16 16:45:40

Agree with other posters who say it is a hormonal/developmental process. I would keep her in pull ups and not bother waking her up/lifting her. You could get her into good habits like drinking plenty of water during the day and just tiny sips of water after 5pm and not holding on if needing to go to the toilet.

PrimeDirective Thu 07-Jan-16 18:33:13

She isn't ready. It's like training a baby to grow their teeth quicker.
And if she wants to stop wearing pull-ups, it's because you are making such a big deal over it. Please stop taking her to the toilet during the night, that can't be good for her.

not holding on if needing to go to the toilet.
Actually there's benefit in encouraging her to hold on sometimes. It increases bladder capacity and pelvic floor muscles. Just don't do it too often.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now