Would you sleep train a night waking 17 month old?

(2 Posts)
PurpleTreeFrog Mon 02-Nov-15 08:02:11

He used to sleep through about 75% of the time but last few months we've probably only had a couple of nights where he hasn't woken up at least once.

Seems to be getting worse now. He wakes up between 2 to 6 times and we usually go in and give him some water and tuck him back in, he does usually go straight back to sleep and our house is quite dry so he could be genuinely thirsty, so I wasn't keen on sleep training.

But recently he's been waking up more frequently I think it's just become a habit, "oh look I'm awake, better cry out for mummy or daddy to come and give me a few sips of water and tuck me back in".

Trouble is he's not the worst sleeper in the world, he normally goes to sleep at bedtime without much hassle and usually sleeps til gone 8am which is amazing.

I don't want to risk messing up bedtime by upsetting him with sleep training. On the other hand, having broken sleep every night is slowly draining our energy and I don't want him doing this for years...

Any advice?

yawn

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Indiechic Mon 02-Nov-15 08:10:29

Our ds was left to cry it out at 14 months because he was waking for attention and to play. It took five nights of hell but it worked. DD is 2 and wakes distressed in the night due to bad dreams so we do have to go in to settle her. So I guess it depends on the reason. If you know he's just trying it on then I would definitely start ignoring him. It changed our lives as we had not slept in over a year and were desperate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now