how do I get my newborn to sleep in his co-sleeper?

(8 Posts)
Havalina1 Tue 13-Oct-15 14:47:39

He's 2.5 weeks old ... You'd think I remember all the "do's" and "don't do's" but no, can't remember a thin around setting up good habits. I did it all with my 22mo daughter but have brain rot right now.

So he is BF and sleeps at the moment in the bed. Double bed to ourselves. He lays across on the other side, it's not like I'm cuddling him or giving him warmth. I lay him down there asleep and put his blanket over him. If I move 2 feet further to the co-sleeper he rouses himself in minutes and that goes on all night and I get no sleeeeeeeep sad

But I don't want to keep him in the bed I'm
Not entirely comfortable with it. I jolt out of sleep in a omgwheresthebaby panic.

Is it the mattress?? The co sleeper is a too spacious... Is that it? What is it, how does he know it's not the bed? What should I do?

Havalina1 Tue 13-Oct-15 14:56:18

.. Oh and he would sleep on me for an eternity.. But I worry about his face ending up in my armpit or something, he's really cuddly and finds ways to squish in. It makes sense, but I really need to get a bit of sleep alone(ish).

It's an ArmsReach co-sleeper and I do think the mattress is a bit hard. I put a clever mama memory foam layer under the sheet but still, nope. Might try tilting one end up a little....

Tfoot75 Tue 13-Oct-15 19:02:30

Could you try warming the mattress first using a hot water bottle so he doesn't notice you've moved him somewhere cold?

Also use a t shirt that his dad (or you) has been wearing that day over the sheet so it smells familiar.

Havalina1 Tue 13-Oct-15 19:27:10

I tried that but maybe didn't hear the spot up enough. I'll give it another go tonight smile I lean over him for a while so I'm still "there" in scent and heat but it just isn't working! He gets fixated on the blanket and goes to town kicking it all off him and by the time he's that done he's roaring.

Ah I'm sure it'll all settle down but I just can't remember how I managed the last time. That said I always felt like just when I was completely throwing in the towel.... we'll be cosleeping in college, she would comply.

catkind Tue 13-Oct-15 19:34:08

What we did was put dd to sleep on a towel or blanket, then just pull her gently across so she didn't notice she'd moved. As soon as she could move herself she would roll back to me in the night, but by then they feel less teeny and fragile.

catkind Tue 13-Oct-15 19:35:23

If he's waking because of kicking blankets off, maybe try a baby sleeping bag?

anythingicando Tue 13-Oct-15 19:38:01

We use a sleepyhead pillow in our co sleeper cot and ds has slept unbelievably well in it literally from day 1. Expensive but for us, completely worth the money.

Havalina1 Tue 13-Oct-15 19:41:43

Catkins that was my other question - I dug out the sleep sacks today - how young can I start using them on him? Thought I'd to wait til he's a Month or so... But not sure where I got that idea from...

I think they may be the way forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now