8 month old waking up screaming every hour or more

(9 Posts)
Armywifelife Sat 19-Sep-15 18:44:43

So DS who is 81/2 months was bf until 7 months and now ff. about 4 weeks ago he started pretty much sleeping through, just with the odd wakening for water some nights (live in a hot country so he definitely needs it). So this was a great break through for myself as I got rid of his dummy that he always woke up for every 2 hours and it was a success.
Skip on to this week and it has been horrific. First it started a week ago when he kept waking up 3 times a night and would NOT go to sleep without a bottle. He would scream for an hour if I didn't and I literally tried everything.
Now the last 4 nights he isn't bothered about milk but starts moaning in his sleep then wakes up screaming bloody murder. Tonight I am already getting stressed and upset as I don't know what to do sad he's woken up every 30 mins so far and takes about 10 mins to settle when I pick him up and cuddle him and falls asleep on me. He also screams again when I try and put him down which is really unlike him. I thought it might be nightmares but this many times for the last 4 nights I'm not so sure?
I need help I feel so sad for him. He's had neurofen and teething powders but with no effect.

Minion Sat 19-Sep-15 21:37:30

Leap 6!
We've hopefully come out of it but it was horrific.
Night terrors, separation anxiety, teething and developmental leaps.
Urghhh.
You have my sympathies.

howabout Sat 19-Sep-15 21:44:48

Teething would be my guess. Calpol at bedtime sometimes helps a bit.

Or my dd used to wake herself biting her thumb.

I would be tempted to try reintroducing a dummy.

Not much help to tell you it is normal and he will grow out of it so tea and sympathy I'm afraid.

FATEdestiny Sat 19-Sep-15 23:01:26

Give the dummy back.

happyelf Sat 19-Sep-15 23:07:54

My youngest used to do this every time she was teething or had an ear infection. She was really prone to ear infections until she was about 3 and the screaming at night was always the first sign

Armywifelife Sun 20-Sep-15 05:53:38

I'm really reluctant to give dummy back because he would constantly wake up in the night wanting me to put it back in because he couldn't do it himself. He has a comforter that has chewy bits on and he sucks on that instead now. Maybe I should try though and see what happens.

He has woken up with a cough today so not sure if he's ill or has a sore throat from screaming. Going to get him some medicine and hope he isn't getting ill!

Armywifelife Sun 20-Sep-15 05:58:00

Minion, I did consider it being a leap but was convinced a leap could be this bad! Thanks for letting me know that it can be. I did think of separation anxiety because he sometimes seems so scared and hysterical when I pick him up and it takes him a while to calm down. Last night was a little better so hopefully it's up from here!

winchester1 Sun 20-Sep-15 05:58:47

Ours was like this last week we added an extra bottle in the day, upped solids and put a night light on and it stopped.

Armywifelife Sun 20-Sep-15 08:55:59

Thanks winchester1 I thought about a night light. Going to pick one up today so hopefully that will help too. He already eats so much I'm not sure if I can up them any more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now