Help 3yr old screaming at night/attachment issues

(2 Posts)
Hopbunny1 Thu 03-Sep-15 21:23:56

My son has always been terrible sleeper but last few months have been really trying. He wakes up every couple of hours shouting for me. If I go in and he sees me he will go back to sleep. However, the minute someone else sees to him or if I am not there he has a real tantrum. He screams and cries and kicks and hits - he only wants mommy. If I then go in he continues with me for ages. I have tried being calm and/or ignoring but nothing works and he gets in such a state he doesn't know what he's doing and hits out at me. It is upsetting for my husband when my son screams at him, but it also means I can't go anywhere in case he wakes and I'm not there.
He has attachment issues in the day as well and won't let anyone except me change his nappy etc
I wondered if others had gone through this and could give advice etc. I haven't slept properly or had a night out for at least 12 months

FATEdestiny Fri 04-Sep-15 21:46:20

If I was going through this I would have DH with me every possible time that DS needed settling. Encouraging DH to take the lead, but in your presence. Bedtime and all wake ups.

This would be a gradual and kind way to encourage some attachment between DS & DH, while not breaking lessening your attachment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now