Sleepyhead - have you got one and is it worth it?

(18 Posts)
Maya15 Sun 12-Jul-15 12:12:33

I am thinking of getting a sleepyhead. Our first baby is due soon and I have heard great stuff about it. Have you got one and was it worth it? Are there similar cheaper alternatives?

minipie Sun 12-Jul-15 22:40:46

I've got one. DD2 sleeps very well in it - it's possible she'd have been a good sleeper anyway of course, but I do think it helps. I got it second hand for about half the price of new.

jessplussomeonenew Mon 13-Jul-15 06:42:27

Ours definitely helped DS settle in his sidecar crib and then transfer to a cot - we went straight to the large size because we started using it about 5 months and I'd heard people say that their babies had grown out of the small size about that age. There are similar things which are cheaper but even the manufacturers say they're not recommended for night sleeping. I have heard people using rolled up towels/nursing pillows under a fitted sheet but again that could be risky.

ohthegoats Mon 13-Jul-15 10:56:56

My child is an appalling sleeper, hut we didn't know that until she grew out of the sleepyhead at 4 months (which was when she started to roll onto her front). I think it may have been a lifesaver before that though - we had it from birth and she slept better at 3 weeks than she does now at 9 months.

You've got me thinking about the bigger one now.

ohthegoats Mon 13-Jul-15 11:16:08

I've ordered it. I'd pay anything for decent sleep right now.

ssss123 Mon 13-Jul-15 21:12:50

mine is nine months too and the larger sleepyhead is amazing. no idea why its so expensive though.

Plateofcrumbs Tue 14-Jul-15 19:23:13

We used ours for co-sleeping as DS decided that even the sidecar cot was too far from mum - he slept in the middle of the bed between DH and I for the first few months. Felt he was very safe and secure and we could cuddle right up next to him without feeling he could get smothered.

VeryPunny Tue 14-Jul-15 19:26:55

Ours was an emergency purchase when DD was 2 days old and she refused to sleep anywhere but on me. Worth every penny but I would buy the bigger one - DD rolled at 12 weeks though so we had to move her.

Orangedaisy Tue 14-Jul-15 19:31:13

DD fitted in her small sleepyhead until 8 months (50th percentile weight, 75th height), then we got her the big one at about 11 months. Sleep was great til 4.5 months, then horrendous til 12 months and now pretty variable at 16 months. God knows whether the sleepyheads have helped or hindered but she does look cosy in them and it means when we travel her bed is familiar.

Wineandchoccy Tue 14-Jul-15 19:35:39

We have just got one for dd who is 12 weeks and she is now sleeping 10 - 11 hours at night. She is in a crib and was waking herself up when her arms went through the bars but since we have used the sleepyhead she hasn't done this. I would definitely recommend one.
I paid £70 off eBay with 2 spare covers.

Chchchchangeabout Tue 14-Jul-15 19:51:42

Yes and yes to your questions OP. Buying again for number 2. We weren't sure about using them second hand due to cot death links to reused mattresses? I know it's a slightly different thing but didn't want to take any unnecessary risks.

Chchchchangeabout Tue 14-Jul-15 19:52:31

Oh but no to the cheaper alternatives as far as I'm aware.

ohthegoats Wed 15-Jul-15 09:59:27

Well, it arrived yesterday and last night was pretty good. We put it on the living room floor to try out for size etc, and as soon as she saw it she was all squealing and jumping all over it. Weird. Anyway, put her down at 7.30 (nightmare getting her to sleep last night due to late tea for various reasons), but no peep until midnight. Recently we've been up and down 3 or 4 times between bedtime and next feed time, so that was pretty good. After that she woke at 4am, then not until 7am. I'm taking that as a result after the last month/few weeks of awful sleep.

hullabaloo234 Thu 16-Jul-15 08:44:19

Hi all- wanting to buy one of these for my 4 week DC who wakes themselves startling and only really settles when held. DC is 91st centile so wondering if worth buying the deluxe or if they will just grow out of it too quickly to make it worth it and just buy the Grande instead? If anyone could advise I would really appreciate it, thank you!

trilbydoll Thu 16-Jul-15 22:30:41

DD2 is also 91st centile for length. She has about 6 inches left in it at 8wo. You can choose whether or not to have the bottom done up though, when she gets too long I'm intending to let her feet hang out the end!

I don't know if the Grande is any wider, you might lose the snug cuddled up aspect?

ohthegoats Sun 19-Jul-15 19:47:23

The Grande is wider, but that's good for an older baby because it allows them to sleep on their back, side or tummy and shift between the three.

MissTwister Mon 20-Jul-15 09:22:50

I bought one of these but sent it back because I read it could be dangerous - the advice was to not have any sleep pods or aids in the cot. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Chloris33 Mon 20-Jul-15 11:15:38

Not a miracle worker for us, but we got it at 3 months. At 6 months he learned how to roll out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now