Under 2s in a bed with bed guard...can it work?

(20 Posts)
Bobian123 Sat 23-May-15 19:19:28

DS is currently 19 months old and DD is due in July. We have a moses basket and a cot bed (DS currently using), so DD will be in the moses basket for a couple of months before moving to the cotbed. Seems silly to buy another cotbed so we're thinking of moving DS to a single bed with a bed guard.

We'd prefer to do this before the baby arrives, mainly to make sure it's not too much change all at once for him. We'd also like to put DD down in the cotbed for naps fairly early on (this helped DS transition).

Can it be done at this age? Has anyone had success? Or are we moving things too quickly?

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks.

hellsbells99 Sat 23-May-15 19:22:40

We decided that DD1 was too young to move to a bed at around 17/18 months so bought a 2nd cot bed - 2 weeks later she had learnt to climb out of the cot so we had to move her to a bed anyway!

justbatteringon Sat 23-May-15 19:24:49

Ds always hated the cot so when DD arrived when he was 16 months we moved him into his own bed, he slept better than he ever did in the cot.

Bobian123 Sat 23-May-15 19:31:42

Thank you!! Very reassuring. Did you have any issues with your DCs getting out of the bed constantly?

hellsbells99 DS has started sticking his leg up the side of the cot in a bid to break free!

CPtart Sat 23-May-15 19:47:43

Both DS went into a toddler bed at 20 months. We let them play on it for a few days first, and although it sounds silly, never let them climb down off the bed themselves during the daytime, saying "no, mummy will lift you off, no climbing down yourself " and making a big fuss of lifting them over the rail. It sounds ridiculous, but this training ensured they never climbed out at night time either!

poppetina Sat 23-May-15 19:51:29

Both of ours moved into a toddler bed at about 19 months and like a PP's child slept better than they ever did in a cot! The bed is nice and low with a built on guard at the head end, and fits the mattress they have each had from the cot. Have you thought about a toddler bed rather than a single bed?

Tobagostreet Sat 23-May-15 19:54:54

Yes it can work!

There is 22 months age difference between my DS's. I moved DS1 to a standard single bed with bed guard a couple of weeks before DS2 was born.

He loved having a 'big boy bed' and settled into it well with no problems.

stressbucket1 Sat 23-May-15 19:55:06

We used a travel cot for a few months with DD2 until we thought DD1 was ready for a bed

poppetina Sat 23-May-15 19:55:20

I should add that we moved DS (3y 3m) to a single bed when DD (18m) took his toddler bed, so we only bought one toddler bed. DD would be too small for a proper single bed at the moment, but a toddler bed has been an ideal in between. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm blaming the afternoon BBQ in the sunshine!wink

bsmirched Sat 23-May-15 19:59:39

Yes! DAy has been in a toddler bed from 17 months. I was worried he'd hurt himself trying to climb over a bed guard so got foam wedge thingies from Amazon that go under the sheet. They have been great and actually he's never tried to climb out anyway!

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Sat 23-May-15 20:07:18

Yes, ours were both out of cots by 18 months

The ikea toddler beds are fine until about 6yo if you don't want to go straight to a big bed

Bobian123 Sat 23-May-15 20:07:54

This is looking promising! poppetina did think about a toddler bed but think we'd rather get a bed that can last him as long as possible! Jealous of your BBQ in the sunshine, I'm looking forward to a glass or three of wine once DD is here wink

worserevived Sat 23-May-15 20:08:21

DD was a climber so had to move out of the cot into a bed at about 18 months. It was fine, but I would recommend putting some pillows or cushions on the floor where the bed rail ends until they get used to climbing in and out.

Artandco Sat 23-May-15 20:16:10

It's fine.

We always co slept. Ds1 was 15 months when ds2 was born. We would just put eldest in our bed in the evening and for naps without us there with just a pillow on floor incase ( no guard), but he slept in the middle when alone so never rolled that far, and just taught him to get off the bed on tummy feet first. Baby slept on floor in living room with us until we went to bed then took him also.

treaclesoda Sat 23-May-15 20:20:22

Both my children moved to a bed aged about 18 months, because for differing reasons they both hated their cot.

It was fine smile Neither of them ever fell out of bed.

stillnotjustamummy Sat 23-May-15 20:21:16

Yes, DD2 went straight to regular single bed aged 16 months. Bed guard removed at 18 months as climbing over it was more dangerous than risk of falling out. We did put lots of cushions and camping mattresses down too.

SaltySeaBird Sat 23-May-15 20:25:15

DD went into a bed before she was 18 months as she kept climbing out even when it was on the lowest setting. She was much happier and slept better in a bed. No bed guard.

Bobian123 Sat 23-May-15 20:28:18

This is all so so useful, thanks everyone for replying.

Now looking up single beds! Good point about climbing over the bed guard. Hadn't considered that. DS does love to climb....

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sat 23-May-15 20:30:11

Yes it can work, I put ds in a single bed with a bed gaurd at 13 or 14 months as he was trying to climb out his cot, and he was getting too big for it.
A few days of running in and out his room but by day 3 he was fine. He did have a little stool he used to climb in and he just slid down backwards to get out.
A bed guard only stops them falling out doesn't keep them in.

MiaowTheCat Tue 26-May-15 11:48:24

Both of mine have been in beds with bedguards before the 18 month mark as they were climbers and very tall climbers at that so were in danger of falling out of their cots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now