18 month old with trapped wind at night

(9 Posts)
katierose1 Sat 21-Feb-15 14:55:09

Hi all
I need some advice!
My little boy has had trouble with wind since birth and has never slept very well. He is now 18 months old and has been sleeping terribly, waking up every hour screaming and writhing around - I think with trapped wind. We co sleep, however he gets in such a state at night that I can't settle him without waking him up completely (he then takes a long time to go back to sleep) or feeding him (which I worry might contribute to the wind). We are both very tired and have no end in sight... I thought that by this time he might be sleeping better. Have tried keeping a food diary but either it's not food related or everything seems to give him wind.
Has anyone else had this problem? If so, can you offer any suggestions?
We tried cranial osteopathy when he was tiny but didn't really notice a difference, I am wondering whether it's worth giving it another go or trying homeopathy etc.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks x

OttiliaVonBCup Sat 21-Feb-15 14:57:21

I used to give weak fennel tea.

FATEdestiny Sat 21-Feb-15 22:21:22

Have you thought about dairy or cows milk protein intolerance?

Linguini Sat 21-Feb-15 22:48:01

Are you definitely burning him properly, getting it up and out before it turns into wind?

Linguini Sat 21-Feb-15 22:48:59

Goodness! Not burning- Burping.

tiredmomm6 Thu 11-Feb-16 13:32:05

My lo is also 18 months old and was diagnosed with reflux at 4 weeks old seemed to improve by the time she 4 months. Then introduced solids st 5 months as she was waking during the night. Problems with trapped wind started approx 10months (bad teething period) blamed it on that for a while. Introduced cows milk at 11-12 months weaned Her off the formula and wind continued only at night. So changed to goats milk and seemed to improve her wind but still sleep through the night. Some nights can wake every 30 mins for the 1st few hours or could sleep for a few hours straight and be roaring with wind for an Hour, fully awoken out if her sleep is hyper and hard to settle for another hour or so. I've tried homeopathy therapy and didn't seem to work. I don't think its down to teething. I've kepr food Diary also and nothing is matchig to the symptoms. Then thought she was having too much to eat before going to bed but when I switch the meal times during the day she still wakes up with wind. I used dentanox as a baby and again when the symptoms continued and wS making her sick. Desperate mommy looking for any advice please.

starfish12 Thu 11-Feb-16 19:29:09

My 8 month old has a cows milk protein allergy and his symptoms are gastrointestinal. Before we cut out dairy he had awful wind at night waking every 30 to 60 mins.
You cpuld try cutting it out. It takes up to 6 weeks to leave their system tho so give it time. Goats milk has similar proteins so many cmpa babies are also allergic to Goats milk. You can replace cows milk in his diet with Oat, Coconut or Almond milk. Worth a try...?

daisydalrymple Thu 11-Feb-16 19:50:14

Dc3 is 15mo and still suffers from wind at night at times. We finally got a dairy intolerance diagnosis after we started weaning (dismissed up to that point due to bf!).

Does he have any other symptoms? Ds and I have both been dairy free for 6 months, and a marked improvement, but sadly the crap sleep patterns were already there, so he's used to being fed back to sleep / to soothe his tummy.

There are still a few foods he seems not to tolerate well, and I haven't managed to work them all out yet, but he has a bad night once in a while, where he wakes screaming, kicking legs, arching his back, literally trying to kick it out! - it's always been trouble with bottom wind, never a problem with burps. I know when he's had something as he has eczema just on his face, which flares up.

On our hit list are- grapes, bananas, baked beans, poss some of the windy veg, tomatoes, nuts (exposed through bf mainly). he can tolerate small amounts now of some.

Forgive me if this is a very basic suggestion, but do you try all the cycling legs in air, pushing legs into tummy and straightening, wind relieving type exercises? At 18mo you could probably make them a bit fun and it might help get some wind out?

You have my sympathies, I have googled this and searched on here for the last 15months! Nothing worse when they're screaming in pain, staring at you as if to say make it stop!

tiredmomm6 Fri 12-Feb-16 21:17:34

Thanks for your replies and info. She had a great night last night ( happens rarely ) and did nothing different. I don't have much hope of the full nights sleep lasting since this has been going on for so long. Would anyone recommend cranal sacrial therapy??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now