at what age would u sleep train?

(17 Posts)
lemondriz Wed 23-Apr-14 18:41:51

Dd is 7 months she is waking anything from every 3 hours to every hour at night I try and wait at least 3 hours between feed but have to stoke/kiss/cuddle back to sleep and if this doesn't work she will fall asleep and wake up every 10 mins or so.until.I.feed her she is breastfed from birth and she is on solids now at 3 meals of a full balanced diet! Plus finger food snacks and milk top up in day so surely should b able to last. And has gone 5/6 hours.in the day without feeding/eating even when u offer it!

I used the solve your child's sleep problems on ds at 6 months but every1 keeps saying that is too young now

5madthings Wed 23-Apr-14 18:44:37

I wouldn't sleep train.

Babies wake for Manu reasons not just hunger, I preferred to meet those needs and just had a consistent bedtime routine and kept nighttime quiet, dark and boring whilst offering comfort as necessary.

They grew out of it.

5madthings Wed 23-Apr-14 18:46:06

I think hv etc recommend babies are 12mths now before you do sleep training. Assume you mean controlled crying or cry it out?

There are gentle sleep training methods that don't involve leaving baby to cry, have you looked at those?

DefiniteMaybe Wed 23-Apr-14 18:47:18

I wouldn't sleep train. 7 month old babies aren't biologically supposed to sleep through the night. The ones that do are the exceptions rather than the norm.

Cakeismymaster Wed 23-Apr-14 18:48:59

Have a look at the Isis website and the info about sleep training. A lot of good info there

ArtFine Wed 23-Apr-14 18:53:36

I think I wouldn't until 1, but can understand if people do 6 months onwards.

lemondriz Wed 23-Apr-14 19:47:32

Just out of curiosity how often have your babies woken up through the night.? Any every hour??

ArtFine Wed 23-Apr-14 20:47:08

Lemon, mine is every hour and still is some days. The reason I didn't do it is because she has allergies and it hasn't really been sorted. It felt like she was waking up because she was in pain or hungry. I never felt sure that it was just for comfort, so I couldn't bear doing it even though I did try because I was so utterly fed up and exhausted sad she also wasn't eating well at all during the day so that wasn't any comfort either. I also felt quite sure that because of her nature, she wouldn't just give in and be 'trained'.

Do whatever your instincts tell you. You know your LO better than anyone else, especially if you feel confident that your LO isn't hungry or in pain.

It's a very very tough time - the hourly wakings. We just went wheat and egg free recently (as well as dairy and soya) and it seems to have improved her sleep a little. All the best x

I wouldn't sleep train.
DS only slept through at 4.6. I tried everything including sleep training he still woke 3 times a night at 4.
With this baby I will co sleep, from the experience i had with DS watching and hearing them cry is so not worth it didn't make a blind bit of difference to out qualities of sleep even when he did go down without crying.

PurplePidjin Wed 23-Apr-14 20:58:52

I would just feed her if she wakes, tbh. 7 months is a big time neurologically - they're starting to move so that and separation anxiety kicks in, plus teeth - I did some very gentle training with ds when he was 10-11 months to go along with night weaning but I was absolutely and completely certain there was no reason for him to be waking other than an inability to put himself back to sleep by himself before I even tried. He also suddenly started getting cranky in the day through lack of sleep, which he hadn't when he needed milk in the night iyswim.

Do what you need to get as much sleep - for both of you - as possible.

PurplePidjin Wed 23-Apr-14 21:03:02

PS at that age he was sleeping 6-7 hours from bedtime then waking every 2-2.5 till morning (bf plus eating well during the day). This deteriorated over the course of a couple of months, until I was sure that phase had passed and helped the self-settling along a bit. He then started sleeping 7-sparrow fart, nappy change then back down till 6ish. Then I moved bedtime to 6 because he was so overtired, he now (17m) sleeps 5:30pm-5/6am then nappy change and back down till 7:30/8 most nights although a lot of that was down to him getting physically tired when he started walking.

It does get better, promise brew

sisterofcaleb Wed 23-Apr-14 21:14:20

How is she falling asleep at bed time? Does she have any associations which might make it harder for her to fall go back to sleep without them when she stirs in the night? (e.g. fed to sleep, dummy, rocking etc). If so, then if I were you I would try initially to gently get her going to sleep on her own. So if currently you feed her (to sleep) stop doing that but stay with her and help her nod off. Then gradually reduce whatever you are doing to help her etc etc. That's if you can bear a gradual approach. If she is going to sleep totally on her own with no props then she a tough cookie if she is getting up every hour. Poor you.

I certainly wouldnt judge you for more hardcore sleep training at 7 months though. Up every hour can't be doing anyone any good.

Hope it goes well whatever you decide.

Mamabear12 Wed 23-Apr-14 21:23:54

I would stop feeding from 11pm-7am. This will encourage to take her feeds during the day instead of at night. The reason she has gone so many hours during the day even if you try to feed her is bc she getting a lot of feeds at night.

Edgarallan Thu 24-Apr-14 09:23:40

Agree with mama bear stopping night feeds cracked it for us

lemondriz Thu 24-Apr-14 12:43:53

If I don't feed her she cry's therefore do.stop or.reduce.nightfeeds would include some sleep.training. She will fall.back to sleep when cuddled stroked etc but just wake within.a few mins and do this over and.over until fed. Either because the stroking or in cot cuddle isn't.working any.more or because she has woken up so many times I give in I usually do given after the 6th waking!
I have tried the pick up put down.method but this was awful she just screamed for an.hour.and.half and then did.the same after.she woke an hour later. I will stroke cuddle or.just put a hand on.her tummy and she will calmly settle but will wake within an hour to console again or feed

fuzzywigsmum Thu 24-Apr-14 16:31:09

I agree with Caleb, maybe try a gradual method but really don't beat yourself up if you have to resort to CC. Plenty of people do and if the net benefit is a less knackered mum it might be worth it. Honestly, there are some bloody saints on MN who seem to be able to cope with multiple night wakings for months/years on end but that's not for all of us. Good luck!

sisterofcaleb Thu 24-Apr-14 18:28:03

Hi lemon, still not sure how is she falling asleep? Are you feeding her until she is asleep at bedtime??

I cut out night feeds with very little crying by reducing the time breastfeeding by 1 min a night / reducing oz in a bottle by 1oz every couple days.

This only worked once he was falling asleep on his own at bedtime though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now