ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Is she just the way she is? Nothing we can do to solve it?

(6 Posts)
ROARmeow Sun 20-Apr-14 18:22:45

I have a 4 year old DS and 20 month old DD. Had a few of the usual sleep and naptime niggles was DS, but overall he was a decent sleeper, and is fine now. No worries.

When DD was born I assumed she'd follow her brother's pattern, but she is the opposite to him in so many ways. She's a terrible sleeper, always has been, and all our tricks and techniques DO NOT WORK.

It was always a fight to get her to nap in daytime. Always took up to an hour for her to have a nap of any length - sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes 2 hours. She dropped her nap altogether at 16 months and that's just fine with her. Seriously she just doesn't seem to need it (?) and will refuse. Even if I drive for an hour she will not even rest her eyes.

She's also either awake or asleep. Doesn't seem to be a middle stage where she's yawning and giving tired signals. Sometimes she'll be a bit whingy but not every day and it doesn't actually mean she's tired.

For the first year of her life she woke up pretty much hourly. Every fucking hour. I breastfed her for a year (same as I did with DS) and even when weaned she still wasn't a great sleeper.

For a while a few months ago she did sleep 12 hours a night and DH and I were laughing with glee.... But now she's just getting worse and I'm feeling so lost.

Because she doesn't nap she goes to bed at 6pm. Wakes up around 6:30am which is fine. It's the bits in the middle that are the issue. For example last night she woke up at 7:30pm for a few moments crying, then again at 8:30pm, then up for a longer crying spell at 9:45pm. At 11pm she walked into our room and wanted to co-sleep with me. Only I will do, DH just makes her scream her head off, even though he isn't doing anything different than I am.

It's just like she wants me me me, and needs attention even if it's nighttime.

I think I'm starting to ramble now, and I'm sorry.

Can someone please comfort me, make me feel like I'm not the only sinner with a child who just doesn't need to sleep much?

Need wine

Cakeismymaster Sun 20-Apr-14 19:23:48

Just wanted to send sympathy! My ds was the same, unfortunately i just had to ride it out and he slept a lot of the time in our bed up until age 3 or so...now at age 9 he still doesn't seem to need a lot of sleep and is regularly still awake at 10pm (bedtime at 8.15 but just lies there awake!) I think it's true that some children need more sleep than others, just like adults really. I blame my genes though as I'm a 6 hrs is more than enough kind of pers

Cakeismymaster Sun 20-Apr-14 19:24:12

Person! Sorry hit send too early

ROARmeow Sun 20-Apr-14 20:43:07

Sadly I love sleeping and could sleep 12 hours nightly... grin fat chance of that though!

I do agree that she just isn't a sleepy person and it could be here character.

but don't know anyone in RL with similar child so struggle to feel normal/content.

SunnyRandall Sun 20-Apr-14 20:56:28

Very similar to my dd, now 5. I have made many rods for my back over the last 5yrs in an attempt to get her to sleep longer and/or better. It is just about bearable now but I still dream of a 7-7 child like ds but she seems happy with 9-7 or 8-6. Still wakes at least once a night and I often end up in her bed as dh won't let her in ours.

Sorry no help at all! But I sympathise.

ROARmeow Mon 21-Apr-14 20:32:12

had 30 min nap in car today and is now singing dancing partying like a loon at 8.30pm.

bloody better hope she sleeps thru tonight but doubt it envy envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now