What do/did your 6-8 week olds do? Day time and night time sleep

(6 Posts)
TheScience Sat 19-Apr-14 15:05:04

DS1 didn't sleep through til 2.5 years, despite being a good napper, so I am keen to lay good foundations with DS2.

He is currently 6.5 weeks and has just about fallen into something of a day time routine where he is awake for 45-90 minutes at a time followed by naps of 1-2.5 hours (approx) - so awake about 8am and then 4 naps during the day before clusterfeeding/dozing all evening until I go to bed around 10.30pm.

Through the night he manages maybe 1 three hour stretch at night and a few 2 hour stretches.

So, what are other babies this age doing? Am I on the right tracks?

trumpfamily Sat 19-Apr-14 18:00:48

You're doing wonderfully, all babies are different but you're on the right tracks. Remember to rest when baby sleeps though so you don't get over tired yourself. My youngest didn't sleep through for years and I followed the same pattern as my first, who was a good sleeper. Who knows the right or wrong way, not me?!

Littlef00t Sun 20-Apr-14 15:33:15

DD 6weeks sleeps from 8ish to 11 when I wake her for dream feed. She then wakes 2-3 times before we get her up at 7.

Daytime has no real nap routine. Currently trying to get her to sleep in her Moses basket in the day as any naps are on us or in the car. Feeds every 3 hours and usually naps about 1-1.5 hrs after from anything from 20 mins

Littlef00t Sun 20-Apr-14 15:36:08

Sounds like your daytime naps are fab. We struggle to get her to sleep more than 30 mins without cuddles and shushing.

mrsmugoo Sun 20-Apr-14 20:28:47

DS is 6 weeks. In the day time I can usually get him down for 2 decent naps of 1.5-2 hours. He could do with 3 as he's always overtired in the evenings but if he misses the window then I try to keep him awake long enough to feed him again for bed.

Bedtime routine starts at 7:30, feed at 8 for 20-30 mins and he takes up to an hour (recently more!) to settle down. He wakes 2-3 times in the night . I'm lucky if we get a 3 hour stretch, 1.5-2 hours is more typical.

I would really like to start getting a reliable 3 hour stretch in now!

He's EBF and I keep hearing about other mums using formula to get more sleep but I'm committed to EBF.

Summerwood1 Mon 21-Apr-14 00:29:35

My baby is 6 weeks on Tuesday,he sleeps a lot during the day,feeds about every 3 hours. Some days he can be awake for quite awhile during the day and other days he just sleeps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now