Sleep issue (mine!)

(11 Posts)
Rosalie82 Tue 15-Apr-14 06:47:10

My DD2 has always been a great sleeper, however recently she has started waking 2-3 times a night sad She is 2.

My issue is I am due the end of June/beg of July and starting to feel v. uncomfortable during the day. She is in nursery 3 half days and my eldest is in reception, so I do get a break but I am exhausted. I am on a knife edge because every time I drop off to sleep I am nervous she will wake up again. I have bad insomnia, and need to sleep just now - have been awake for hours and it has been like this the past few weeks.

Then I get exhausted when they wake up. would sleeping tablets help - are they safe to take in preg? My husband is getting tired of seeing me on my phone in the early hours as it wakes him up as well!

1lastshot Tue 15-Apr-14 07:11:59

There is a sleep time tea that is herbal that is ok when your pregnant they sell it at sainsburys. Good luck!

Doodle1983 Tue 15-Apr-14 07:44:08

Being on your phone will stimulate you, and keep you awake more ? I have a newborn and struggle sleeping when he's asleep but at I feel like a rest sometimes if I just lay with my eyes closed.

NickyEds Tue 15-Apr-14 08:20:46

I would definately go to gp before taking sleeping pills- I was told the only medication I could have was paracetamol so would certainly check. Insomnia is awful. I had it for years and found that the best way to deal with it was to accept it! It was the counting down (if I go to sleep now I'll get 4hours etc) and the stress (I only got 3 hours last night and tomorrow
I have this meeting etc) that got to me. I found it easier when I said to myself- sometimes I don't sleep. If you can't sleep, rest and day dream. Avoid "to do" lists in your head- and stay off your phone. You've probably heard all of this before(hot drink before bed anyone!!!)- sorry you're not sleeping-it's rubbish!

Rosalie82 Wed 16-Apr-14 00:46:28

The counting down and stress is part of it- I can definitely relate. I might start leaving phone in lounge.

Thanks for the replies. I will go to my gp and try the herbal tea too.

It's all mental as well..in my head I start thinking about when one of them will waken and that means I'm nervous.

It doesn't make sense as I'm so tired, I just don't see how I can't fall asleep asap!

Rosalie82 Fri 18-Apr-14 04:33:41

Up again :-( youngest woke the eldest and the baby decided to have a bit of a party when I tried to get back to sleep. Thing is now I know they are up in a couple of hours which makes it worse!

NickyEds Fri 18-Apr-14 09:02:15

Booo. Sorry Rosalie. DS is teething so we had a 4am wake up too- he was back to sleep at 4.30, I just lay there waiting for him to wake back up. Between the tears and the epic drool he's going to need IV fluids! How come Mums don't get bank holiday lie ins?????

Rosalie82 Fri 18-Apr-14 09:34:37

I haven't had a lie in for years Nicky. I am sure this sleep deprivation your life span! I have wrinkles round my eyes and I'm only 31!

crumpeteer Fri 18-Apr-14 16:17:29

It's awful not being able to sleep when you can! Have you tried Horlicks? I find it helps me get off to sleep, i sometimes wake up again after 30min when its 'worn off' but it does work for me. I also try and have no screen time for an hour before going to sleep, so no phone, computer or telly as its meant to keep you awake. And if I can't sleep at all in bed I sometimes move onto sofa as I get so annoyed hearing my partner sleep peacefully next to me...

Rosalie82 Sat 19-Apr-14 02:11:30

Thanks crumpeteer. I am off to try horlicks now. I did drop off putting DD2 to sleep earlier and hub let me sleep for a while bless him, so not as panicked if I miss a few hrs tonight.

I should also leave this phone in the lounge so I can't get to it lol. It does set the brain buzzing. I've had an argument with my mother today and I find it hard to switch off mentally without going over stuff in my head!

NickyEds Sat 19-Apr-14 16:41:26

It is terrible isn't it. It's like your brain saves worries for when you should be asleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now