Nightime weaning off swaddle and Cocoonababy

(8 Posts)
Squeak14 Wed 02-Apr-14 10:55:01

Hello Mums,
My DD is 11wks old. She is swaddled AND sleeps in the cocoona. I am really keen to wean her off the swaddle first (she will grow out of the cocoona soon), but gently as she sleeps nights... well, except for when her arms wriggle out and becomes unhappy. I do not want to her become addicted to a bad sleeping habit - or is it too late?? She sleeps short naps fine with neither swaddle nor cocoona (30-40 min). During her longer lunchtime naps (2hours) she is not swaddled but in a grobag and still in the cocoona. Her sleep is less good but she sleeps nonetheless. Not sure how to tackle the nights for unswaddling. Her arms and comfort being the main issues. Any advice please?

Geneticsbunny Wed 02-Apr-14 16:30:53

Just go cold turkey. She probably won't notice. My ds(4 months) was swaddled till 3 months. We swapped him to groans and he didn't even notice.

Geneticsbunny Wed 02-Apr-14 16:32:40

Stupid autocorrect grobags.

Geneticsbunny Wed 02-Apr-14 16:33:37

Just go cold turkey. She probably won't notice. My ds(4 months) was swaddled till 3 months. We swapped him to groans and he didn't even notice.

zoobaby Fri 04-Apr-14 21:03:09

If your LO is getting good sleep in swaddle there's no need to worry. DS stayed in a swaddle until he was about 6-7 months old as he had a really strong startle reflex and simply couldn't go arms free. Finally in summer he went without, but only with an extra large muslin draped over the top and then tucked under arms. The only thing is to make sure your not restricting the legs and hips.

LindsayS79 Fri 04-Apr-14 21:46:17

I would just go cold turkey at that age. My DD has just become swaddle-free at 8 months!
I used to swaddle her arms quite tight (she liked it) so I moved her on to the looser swaddles with zips to try and wean her off it. Can't remember the name but you get them in John Lewis. Maybe a 'woombie'?This got her used to more movement.
I then got her into the 'love to swaddle' one, which allows even more freedom. The arms have zips, I just unzipped one arm for a few days then went cold turkey!
TBH she now (touch wood) sleeps better without her swaddle!

Squeak14 Mon 07-Apr-14 20:12:14

Thanks ladies. I went semi cod turkey (started with shorter naps) and she did well. Her arms still spaz sometimes but it doesn't seem to wake her up, and she scratched her cute little face, but she sleeps through the night in her grobag now. I'm very happy and relieved.

shatteredboo Tue 08-Apr-14 21:29:01

I had a similar problem a few months back with DS who I thought would NEVER sleep without his swaddle pod. We invested in this www.mybabysolutions.co.uk/ourshop/cat_652327-ZipadeeZip.html which really did work for us. It took a couple of nights for him to get used to it but he sleeps fine (well, no worse than before!) in it now. Worth a shot?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now