15 month old, previously good sleeper, won't stay asleep

(4 Posts)
Jengnr Wed 02-Apr-14 02:32:24

Pretty much this. My 15 month old has slept through from about 8 weeks (mostly). He usually wakes early but that isn't really a problem.

He's started waking up in the night and does not want to stay in his cot. I've tried co sleeping with him but that isn't working for me now.

Any suggestions? I have no idea what the problem is. And I feel like I'm about to snap.

Jengnr Wed 02-Apr-14 03:17:23

Dr Google suggests it could have coincided with him learning to walk?

PansOnFire Wed 02-Apr-14 20:04:48

Jengnr I'm having the same problem with my DS at the moment, he's 16 months and this has been happening for about 5 days. Like your DS, he's slept through since 8 weeks and he's caused very little fuss about anything. I don't know about you but I'm not well rehearsed in any of the usual issues that go along with babies, I've been so lucky so far.

He's teething at the moment and we've been to the dr because of his fever but were told just to keep up the Calpol and ibuprofen which we have. However, he's been so clingy and whiney that it's really pushing me to my limit and I'm exhausted. I had to take a day off work because he refused to go to sleep on Sunday and Monday nights and I was exhausted. I've just had a look on the Wonder Weeks app and it suggested that he's about to start a 'leap' so I'm thinking it might be early, he's always been dead on with Wonder Weeks and his 'behaviour' has been exactly as described on the app too, if you don't have it then it might be useful this time?

Co-sleeping was a disaster for us on Sumday night and tbh it was a complete change to his routine so I think it just made things worse. The advice I've been given is to keep everything exactly the same, I've blacked out the windows tonight as I know the light nights have been a contributing factor and he's gone to bed a lot easier but he is still screaming on and off. I'm using the 'shh/pat' method along with gradual retreat but I think my presence is winding him up so I've retreated to the landing. I go back in every 3 minutes whilst he's crying and then about 1 minute after each cry out which he keeps doing intermittently. I think he might be poorly along with teething so I'm trying to keep a very close eye on him. I'll do the same in the night. I'm going to avoid picking him up at all costs, unless he's ill and needs me to. I'll also give him a drink if he's crying a lot as I know he gets thirsty easily.

I'm sorry I'm not much help but I thought I'd share my plan with you. It's heartbreaking listening to him trying to get my attention but I know he needs his sleep. I've never done controlled crying or anything like that so I know it's too late to start now with him and he wouldn't just cry for anything, I know he's feeling abandoned at the moment. He's so clingy during the day that I know this is just an extension of that. How is your night going so far?

Jengnr Fri 04-Apr-14 22:41:48

Sorry, I forgot about this thread. Thanks for replying.

We have a few days left of a wonder week and he has been ill today which may contribute. I just don't know. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now