Cocoonababy - when did you stop using it and how was the transition to cot?

(21 Posts)
mumofthreeboysS Tue 25-Mar-14 17:04:51

my ds is 13 weeks and has been using the Cocoonababy since he was a few weeks old for day and night. He sleeps really well in it but is now getting a bit big and has started squirming a bit so not sure if he needs space to just stretch out now.

Can you tell me how long you used it for and how the transition was to cot as I'm a bit worried he won't sleep so well once we put him straight in the cot!

Pickering Tue 25-Mar-14 22:21:13

Marking place as I'm pondering the same thing re transition from sleepyhead to cot.

mumofthreeboysS Wed 26-Mar-14 13:02:28

anyone? grin

Kelong81 Thu 27-Mar-14 03:34:11

No idea but keen to follow - my lo in the cocoonababy and sleeping well in it at 10 weeks but I'm worried about transitioning to cot...

islingtongirl Thu 27-Mar-14 04:09:25

Hello! We used our cocoonababy until DD was 4m (16/17 weeks) and starting to roll - but she is on the smaller side and by 4m was starting to look too big for it, so possible you may need to change sooner. Started off by going cold turkey (!) and straight into cot bed but DD started to roll onto front and freaked me out, and I was up half the night turning her over! So then did transition where put cocoonababy in cotbed for few nights, then removed but made cotbed 'smaller' with rolled up towels etc until finally took those away about a week later. DD 7m now and sleeps in cotbed fine, but I remember dreading the day we got rid of it as she slept so well in it! But they adapt quicker than you think smile

mumofthreeboysS Mon 31-Mar-14 17:01:04

Thanks islingtongirl I think like you say the fear that it'll be a nightmare is often worse than the reality! I'm keen to put him in his cot now but MIL and FIL are here for 2 weeks and the logistics of sleeping arrangements means we can't, so will have to wait.

fingers crossed he doesn't mind the change! Sometimes he shifts around a lot from side to side so I'm hoping he'll like the freedom of being flat out and being able to stretch his arms out!

Sephy Tue 01-Apr-14 08:45:00

We did the same as islington at about the same age and it worked fine. Having said that, she's never been a great sleeper with or without, but things are no different without!

mumofthreeboysS Tue 01-Apr-14 08:49:45

Well LO was thrashing around last night trying to turn - or spread out! definitely time to go to his cot tho really bad timing as inlaws are here another week and a half! Going to try normal moses basket mattress at least maybe he can move a little bit more!

mumofthreeboysS Tue 01-Apr-14 20:25:07

Ok well I took the cocoonababy out today- this morning he napped in it fine in the morning for half an hour. He was in the buggy for other naps, this evening I have put him in it twice (fed to sleep, put down carefully) and both times his eyes have flown open and his arms have flailed around as if to say woah there's loads of space around me and I don't like it! I've now come downstairs and crossing fingers he just falls asleep himself. I have cocoonababy on standby as I don't think I can face a whole night of him not sleeping well!

I'm now cursing that I ever put him in it but hopefully it'll be fine and he'll get used to being without it quickly! If this doesn't work maybe I'll try the rolled up towels in his moses cot tho there's not much room left in there!

mumofthreeboysS Tue 01-Apr-14 21:15:51

oh god I'm soooo pissed off. Ok so it hasn't gone well. I got him to sleep then he threw up all over his sleeping bag and mattress and woke up so I took that away and put the cocoonababy back in. Got him to sleep, put him in but his sleeping bag was too bulky so he didn't like it and woke up, so i took him out of it, got him to sleep and put him back and he woke up. Que me cursing and swearing and stomping out of the room.

so now I'm worried this is going to be a nightmare after all. sob! I don't want to go through a sleepless few nights to crack this!!!!!!! argh!!

Pickering Wed 02-Apr-14 21:24:35

How's it going, mum of three? We've gone cold turkey tonight and its not going well....

mumofthreeboysS Wed 02-Apr-14 22:00:02

Well I have managed to put him down on a flat mattress for naps today in his moses basket but must admit I chickened out tonight and put him in his cocoonababy as i just couldn't face the potential bad night- esp with in laws here and now DS1 is ill. I will continue with a normal mattress during the day so at least he gets used to using one and maybe try taking the cocoonababy away completely in a week. Let me know how you get on pickering hope your baby settles soon! How old is he/she?

Pickering Wed 02-Apr-14 23:39:01

Good plan. Shes's 6 months and sleeps well (lucky) usually, so is definitely missing the secure keep these feeling

Pickering Wed 02-Apr-14 23:49:12

Sorry typing one handed. Just decided to go back to plan a and the sleepyhead tonight. New plan for tomorrow required!

mogwai2011 Thu 03-Apr-14 15:01:16

We moved our DS from the nest into the cot a few weeks ago at about 14 weeks. Went cold turkey and moved him straight across one night. Kept our routine the same which was to put my dressing gown and PJ top in the cot when he wasn't in it so my scent was on the cot mattress. We also placed a hot water bottle in the cot around his head area to warm the mattress and removed it just before putting him down. Both of these things helped and we also placed rolled up bath towels either side of him to make him feel more secure and less exposed after the nest.
Sleep pattern stayed much the same for a few weeks so no ill effects from transferring across so don't worry too much about it....it's only since we've hit 16 weeks that his sleep has disi proved and he's much more unsettled at night but think this is probably the infamous 4 month growth spurt, so I hope we get back to normal again soon!

Redbird12 Sat 05-Apr-14 21:26:24

Hi, we moved DS from Cocoonababy at 5 months as although he was quite big, he wasnt really wriggling until then. To make the transition easier, we bought him a Clevamama baby pillow so his head was still slightly raised and put blankets and toys around him as he likes to feel soft things close to him rather than feel like he is in an big empty cot. I have to admit though that he does wake up more in the night now though (at 6 mo) and we've never been sure if it's an age related thing or if it's leaving his safe warm nest behind. Hope your DS settles better soon.

Artandco Sat 05-Apr-14 21:32:01

I read about the cocoon baby/ sleep head items. However was told both were not suitable for overnight sleeping as didn't conform to overnight standards or SIDS recommendations. Is this true?

mumofthreeboysS Fri 11-Apr-14 20:36:27

Well just to let you know we moved DS into the cot last night and actually it wasn't too bad! I put rolled up towels in the cot in an arch shape around him then one across the bottom that would go under his knees to mimic the shape of the cocoonababy. He settled well and woke twice - once is normal for a feed, the other time I settled him with his dummy. So I think my worries were a bit unfounded thank goodness! Tonight I've taken away the knee support and I'll take the other towel away in the next few days till he's just in the cot with the flat mattress.

Artandco I haven't heard that the cocoonababy doesn't conform to overnight standards- I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be used day and night. Maybe check out their website (http://www.cocoonababy.com.au/)

SS3J Sat 12-Apr-14 04:21:01

Artandco. Yes, I contacted the Lullaby Trust (cot death charity) about this and they can't recommend this type of sleep aid as it goes against their advice to put baby to sleep on a flat, firm mattress.

pandabear86 Sun 13-Apr-14 13:08:36

Hi, we made the transition a few weeks ago and it has been a bit hit and miss. Now he is in the big flat cot he wakes up more but this could also be down to a growth spurt, teething, or that dreaded Wonder Week stage as we did the transition when he was 18 weeks. Now he is 21 weeks old he is sleeping much better! We have started warming up the cot before he goes in it so it is nice and snuggly.

I haven't heard that the Cocoonababy wasn't safe. It is used in all the maternity wards in France.

mumofthreeboysS Tue 15-Apr-14 20:33:58

yeah pandabear86 it was created for premature babies to use in hospitals in France so I'm sure it's safe as well. Glad your baby is sleeping better now! Mine is sleeping on a completely flat mattress now with no more wakings than previously so that's good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now