ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Baby suddenly very hard to rouse, worried.

(11 Posts)
CAnn88 Wed 26-Feb-14 09:40:45

DD is 6 weeks and seems to have started sleeping harder and longer, both day and night. She was previously staying awake for very long periods during the day, but now only stays awake for 1-2 hours a between naps. Is this ok? She is very happy and alert between sleeps, but I've noticed that she is a bit reluctant to wake up. She is spending more time in deep sleep, and if I touch her she doesn't wriggle or respond the first few times, which scares me (as a very anxious mum).

There are two things worrying me; one is that she might be poorly, and the other is the link between deep sleep and SIDS. I have been known to wake my LO after 3/4 hours at night time because I'm afraid she'll go in to too deep asleep and won't wake up.

I'm seeing my GP this afternoon, but he isn't very knowledgable about babies and you lot are! Any help would be much appreciated, I'm really stressing and wearing myself out x

notyummy Wed 26-Feb-14 09:49:23

From memory of how dd slept at that age, you could rub a wet bristly brush all over her at the same time as setting off an air horn and she would have slept through it if in a deep sleep! Is she feeding well? Lots of wet nappies and not running a temperature? If so then it is almost certainly normal. At 6 weeks dd was sleeping anything up to 6-8 hours at a stretch at night, so 3-4 hours probably means she is still tired and in a deep sleep so doesn't want to be roused. By all means chat to the GP and get him/her to give dd a check over - I am by no means a HCP but the sleeping thing sounds well within normal to me.

wellieboots Wed 26-Feb-14 09:55:33

Less than 2 hours between naps is what you want at that age. As long as shes happy and alert when she's awake, feeding plenty, lots of wet nappies, then I would say all normal. But its never a bad idea to get checked out if you're worried.

chocoholicalcoholic Wed 26-Feb-14 09:58:28

If it helps my 6 week old baby has been like this for the last few days too. I'm putting it down to being worn out from the new things that she's started to do (smiling, wacking her arms about, turning head more etc) as she's blotto when she's asleep. Check with GP if you're worried though.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Wed 26-Feb-14 10:03:33

My ds definitely went thru a change at 6 weeks, I put it down to a growth spurt. Lots of sleeping for lots of growing. They should start learning new things now so tires them out. You could pick ds up, put him in his car seat drive to where you needed to be and take him out do your thing then drive back and he barely stirred.
As people have said, happy when awake, feeding and wet nappies. Should be fine, but check of it would make you feel better.

ClaraFox Wed 26-Feb-14 10:06:26

Eek! Leave her to sleep woman and stop trying to wake her up!

I know it's a time of anxiety but honestly ... Babies need loads and loads of sleep so my advice would be to leave well alone and use the time to rest yourself !

ClaraFox Wed 26-Feb-14 10:07:45

I'm not sure that I'd bother the doctor with this tbh! You can't say ' she sleeps deeply ' and expect him to be able to offer anything constructive!

This is more about your anxiety so maybe focus on that at the appointment?

kotinka Wed 26-Feb-14 10:14:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

drivenfromdistraction Wed 26-Feb-14 10:20:36

Well I had to go back into hospital with my 5 day old because she was sleeping so much she wasn't having enough milk and was dehydrated. Severe jaundice. I think that's unlikely at 6 weeks, but it was essential I got her seen asap.

Are there plenty of wet nappies? Is she taking plenty of milk?

CAnn88 Wed 26-Feb-14 12:36:08

Thanks all. Still plenty of feeding and wet nappies and no temperature, she just seems a little...different. Basically she's just sleeping more and deeper and it's different to how I'm used to her being. I do have anxiety issues and am prone to worry, and now I've perceived this as a problem I can't stop worrying about it!

CuteLittleToes Wed 26-Feb-14 12:39:09

Baby of that age should not go longer than 2h between naps, so looks like you have a good sleeper. I would suggest you count your blessings and let her sleep (as long as she is feeding ok, has plenty of wet nappies and doesn't look lethargic when awake).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now