7week old baby will not sleep in Moses basket

(14 Posts)
Uwaibi777 Sun 23-Feb-14 21:11:24

Hi guys my baby girl will not sleep in her Moses basket since she was born she only wants to sleep on mine or daddy's chest, it's getting really difficult now, I wondered if anyone had any advice on how to get her to sleep in her Moses basket, also I left her to cry for a bit but she would not give in so I had to take her out, has anyone gone through this and have any useful tips on how to tackle this..... Help please ????

CrispyCrochet Sun 23-Feb-14 21:43:40

Everyone has gone through this. Well ok maybe not everyone but so many people. There are lots of tricks you can try but ultimately your LO was inside you for 9 months & being next to you is comfort.

Things to try:

Swaddle (I bought a woombie - just google it)
Heating pad in the Moses basket (remove before putting LO in)
You cuddle the sheet/blanket before hand so it smells like you.

This is essentially what works for me. I keep the heating pad plugged in by my bed & when I'm nursing DS in the night I turn it back on & set it in there so it's nice and toasty when he's ready to go back in. My DS is nearly 12 weeks and sleeps some in the Moses basket but I find between about 3 and 6 he just wants cuddles.

It's lovely really though. Congratulations on your LO.

Ginnytonic82 Sun 23-Feb-14 21:44:25

Our Ds wasn't keen on his, but we cracked it in the end. First we swapped the rocking stand for a static one, as the motion disturbed,rather than soothed him. Then we propped up one end with books (Ds has reflux). We warmed the bedding with a wheat bag, and put him in his cocoon/swaddle/gro bag as we rocked him to sleep. They both seemed to make the transfer from being held to being put down easier. I also stuck a muslin down my top for a few hours for the first few nights then tucked it into the matress, so it smelled like me.

If she is much easier to settle upright and fusses when she feeds do look into reflux/silent reflux. Also don't leave her to cry, she's too young to settle herself yet, typically they don't learn those skills til 6 month plus.

BikeRunSki Sun 23-Feb-14 21:46:28

Put a t shirt that you have been wearing in the Moses Basket. It will smell of you.

Superworm Sun 23-Feb-14 22:27:34

DS never went in his. He Waugh better in the cot. You can wear the sheets for a day or two before putting them on do they smell of you. Warm the mattress with a hot water bottle also helped, as did lowering my expectations. Anytime he managed in there was a bonus and I just built on it.

Superworm Sun 23-Feb-14 22:28:19

He was better in the cot

shirleycat1 Tue 25-Feb-14 13:51:35

DS2 wouldn't sleep in his moses basket. We tried the cot by the bed and he went straight down. No idea why as DS1 and DD both slept happily in it, but he obviously just didn't like it.

Also I know it feels like forever but 7 weeks is still really little. She'll get there...

artyone Tue 25-Feb-14 14:01:29

You could try the cot, my dd likes to sleep with her arms stretched out so the moses basket didn't work for very long, she sleeps much better since she moved into the cot (which we've put in our room). She's 13 weeks old.

Leaving them to cry doesn't work this young, they don't understand and are not manipulating you, they genuinely need something, even if it's just your comfort.

Poshers Tue 25-Feb-14 21:15:53

Everyone goes through this. I feel your pain as it's frustrating when all the HV etc think it's easy!!

Try this site http://www.troublesometots.com

I use WHITE NOISE download a free app and whack up the noise!

It's worked for me (although still early days!!) give it a go.

smile

Aandrew2 Wed 26-Feb-14 13:20:32

I had this problem. Our little one refused to sleep in her Moses basket but would sleep in her pram. We tried putting in a t shirt that smelt like one of us. Warmed up the Moses basket before hand and none of it worked as soon as she was in there she would wake up. The only thing that I could see that was different between the Moses basket and the pram was that the pram was more supportive. We have a bugaboo and the pram has a wooden base and then the mattress which made it firmer. So we tried putting a thin piece of wood underneath the mattress in the Moses basket. It could be coincidence but she had slept in her Moses basket ever since. Maybe try putting something firmer under the mattress smile

emmak8383 Wed 26-Feb-14 21:00:17

We had the same problem. We tightly rolled up a towel and put it round the edge of the Moses basket. Basically we think the basket was too big and out LO needed to be a bit more snug in it. Worked immediately. Make sure the towel is wrapped tight and doesn't have any loose ends. Good luck wink

OsMalleytheCat Wed 26-Feb-14 21:02:49

DS never slept in his and I accepted defeat and just allowed him to sleep where he wanted....
However the midwife suggested that I put my used breast pads in there and a top that I had been wearing neither of those seemed to help me....
<unhelpful>

Alexandra6 Thu 27-Feb-14 05:04:42

With my dd (now 11 weeks), I feed her to sleep and sneak her into her sleepyhead pillow in her cosleeper babybay bed. If she stirs, I keep a dummy handy and try and pop that in. So I've cracked it for now although am fully aware I haven't really cracked it and will need to get her self settling at some stage eek

Alexandra6 Thu 27-Feb-14 05:06:42

Oh and I was given a good sleeping bag from the white company, it's really soft, so I put her in that while I'm feeding/cuddling her - that way she's snug before she is transferred to her bed.

She struggles with wind though too which is tricky!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now