Catnapping

(3 Posts)
CAnn88 Wed 19-Feb-14 16:10:42

This may be a silly question so I apologise in advance!

Is it normal for my 6 week old to frequently fall into shortish sleeps? She seems to sleep for between 40 minutes to 1 hour and a half off and on all day. When she's awake she is alert and content, but she will suddenly randomly fall into a deep seeming sleep (or sometimes even light sleep for 10-20 mins).

Is thus weird? She sleeps for 3/4 hour stretches at night and tends to have 1 longer sleep a day, I'm just wondering if it's normal for her to be in and out of sleep so much? Some days she does this more, others she seems to hardly sleep at all, and whilst I'm not expecting a routine at this age I did at least think there might be some patterns in her behaviour, but every day is different!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 20-Feb-14 00:09:39

Like a young kitten or puppy your little girl sleeps when she's tired. There's not much you can do to wake her up when she zonks out. You might spot her yawning, rubbing her face or getting cranky beforehand.

At six weeks DD ('dear' or 'darling daughter') has a tiny tummy and milk gets digested very quickly. Newborns need to be fed every two to four hours-and sometimes even more often - possibly one to two hours later when she has growth spurts. You'll see that they affect day and night time feedings too.

You've probably already noticed her sleepy snuffles, squeaks or whimpers, she won't necessarily be waking when she's noisy so hold back a moment, see if she's really awake.

I'm not medical but from what I remember from my DCs ('darling child/children') when they were tiny any time I thought they'd got into some semblance of routine it changed. You'll probably find after the weekend she's starting to stay awake longer.

Monty27 Thu 20-Feb-14 00:16:44

She sounds wonderfully happy and content! Probably doesn't notice the difference between gestation and being born. You're probably doing something very right. smile

And congratulations flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now