Helping baby to sleep when you're out but stop moving?!

(4 Posts)
sarah79mums Tue 18-Feb-14 22:06:56

Could anyone please offer any tips/ products/ tricks to help settle their wee ones off to sleep when out-and-about, when they're tired but just fighting it so much?

I finally got my husband to go out for a meal early last night but my 4 month old son wouldn't settle and my husband just fretted about him crying and upsetting other customers. It should have been relaxing but totally backfired!!

We had a similar episode recently during a friend's (daytime) wedding - and Sam had been soooo close to drifting off!

Does anyone know of a solution that really works, other than bobbing the pram until your arms go numb? I'd love for my husband and I to be able to have a weekend coffee at least...!

Sarah x

Quinandthem Tue 18-Feb-14 22:41:30

My dd would fall asleep on our shoulder or being cradled in our arms whilst sucking a finger.

Also would fall asleep in a sling but harder to transfer to pram.

fflonkl Wed 19-Feb-14 15:01:00

What I normally do when in a cafe/restaurant and DD wants to sleep is push the pram with one arm whilst sitting down until she falls asleep, at which point I hook a foot on the pram and use it to rock her. Obviously you'll need a bit of space!! Usually it works (but I've never taken her out at night as she was rubbish at going to sleep early until she was 6+ months; she's almost 11 months now).

sarah79mums Thu 20-Feb-14 21:05:41

Thanks for your replies. Cuddling/ cradling are good but he seems to have an inbuilt tilt-o-meter when I lie him in the pram! I've tried a blanket to darken things down but then I fall into the trap of peeking and he goes off when he sees me. I could maybe give him something more entertaining to keep him occupied for the time we're stopped - but then again I don't want to keep him awake when he's due a nap (which is the only reason we're sneaking out anyway).
Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now